Sign in to follow this  

Shattered Pelvis

I just recently injured myself and have a question. First some background. During practice I landed a couple feet short off a downhill double; the suspension soaked up the impact but sort of hopped my front end out and ended up washing out on me. The weird thing is that I have come up short on this jump many times but never crashed. This time I did. It wasn’t even a hard crash but the impact pushed the ball of my hip into the socket with such force that it shattered the socket into appx 8 pieces and broke the left half of my pelvis completely off from the rest (must have landed on a rock or something). I had surgery to reconstruct the socket and fix the broken pelvis. So now I have 5 titanium plates and 28 screws in my hip/pelvis. My doctor tells me that I cannot put any weight on my left leg until December, but I should be able to walk normally within a year. The doctor is sort of vague on whether or not I will be able to ride again. I am 35 years old and in fairly decent shape. My question is has anyone had this injury to this extent. If so did you make it back onto a MX track to race competitively?

Thank You

All I know about a broken pelvis is: When my Dad(he was a horse trainer) was in his 50's, a horse fell over backwards on him. In the x-rays, his shoulder blade looked like shattered glass, his pelvis was broken, he had a lot of broken ribs and was pretty messed up. He was all healed up in way less than a year and back to full use of all broken parts. I think injuries like that heal differently in different people?

Certainly not before Feb or March, but I have no reason to think that you will not be able to ride again.

BTW, who put that nasty scar on your shoulder? When I do that surgery, I put the scar in the armpit where you can't see it.

BTW, who put that nasty scar on your shoulder? When I do that surgery, I put the scar in the armpit where you can't see it.

I dont know why, but you just dont seem to hear that very often :banghead:

I had a friend who sustained a similar injury. He was out of riding for about a year or so. He still rides today though mostly trials bikes. Don't ever expect a doctor to clear you to ride again. Most will not, it's not something they do.

ouch... good luck let it heal all the way before you get back to riding or it could come back to haunt you!! get well soon! :banghead:

i hate to say it but sometimes we need to know when to slow down. i just broke my collar bone, and i am not sure i want to be hitting 60 footers any more.

course, i'll probably feel different once it heals up!

The shoulder scar is from a capsular rebuild or some such thing. I am not a doctor. I originally tore up the shoulder in 1990 and was suppose to have surgery but instead I got onto a C-5 and headed to Kuwait with the rest of my 1st Marine Division. When I got back I just never followed up. Last year I finally got it fixed- the arm was always "popping" out and made my arm numb.

With this new hip scar I am beginning to look like Frankenstein's monster. I have a 14" scar on my belly from an emergency surgury (not dirt bike related), the 8" scar on my right shoulder and the double 20" scars for the shattered plevis- one is in the front of my hip and the other is on the backside to the middle of my back.

My girlfriend is starting to play connect the dots with my body. :banghead:

Pain heals, glory fades, chicks dig scars.

:banghead:

damn, all I know about the pelvis thing is a guy I work with fell from a ski lift terminal and broke his pelvis all to hell, it took him almost 4 years to get back up to workable, and still isn't back to 100% almost 7 years later. It all depends on how fast your body will heal I guess :banghead:

If there isn't nerve damage, and the doc did a good job putting the hip socket together, then you should ride by six months. Don't underestimate how much exercise you will need to do between now and then.

hiya,i broke my pelvis in a bike accident[on road]in a few places,plus i had massive spinal probs too,the point i want to make is that u can get back if u want to,u dont know ur limits till u reach them.I know coz nine docs said i never walk again in 2000,ha i am 40 n mixing it better than ever on the mx n desert.[helps my wife is a physiotherapist]take care of urself train up slow,u make it back if u want it bad enuff,hope it helped,urs desertthumper

I got a copy of an xray of my rebuilt pelvis after surgury. It not a very good copy (it doesn't scan well) but you get the point. This is an xray of my left pelvis and hip, i was rolled about 30 degrees to my right to get the angle they were looking for. The two plates on the top were to reattach the top part of my pelvis that was completely broken off. The one plate to the far right and bottom was to reattach the bottom part of the pelvis. The two plates on the bottom left was to reconstruct the shattered part of the socket where the ball of the hip is connected. Needless to say it was the most pain I have ever felt. The good thing is that I don't remember alot about the accident and hospital stay (must have been the medication that I got pumped into me).

pelvisxray2.jpg

The most important thing is how the socket got put back together. It looks good. Kudus to you and your doctor.

BTW whats his name?

drmark

The primary Doctor's name is Dr. Ladwig at St. Lukes in Milwaukee the assisting dr is Dr Macivlek (both in Wisconsin-Milwaukee). Both were very good and professional. They made me feel very confident about the surgury. I think the only thing they didn't get right was how long I would be under anesthesia, they thought it would take 4-5 hours but I was under for 6.5. Witch is understandable considering the amount of work they had to do to fix the pelvis.

Crap sorry about that dude.. Always sucks when stuff like that happens. Best frien just got into a accident his riding days are over.. Were in wisconsin?

drmark,

how will i know if there is permanent nerve damage. I ask my dr. if the numbness in the top of my left leg (from the top of my leg where it meets my torso to the top of my knee) will ever go away. He said it may. they did try to "work around" the main nerve, but there may have been damage. I am not knocking my dr. he did an amazing job repairing my pelvis but when I asked him if I can ride again he kind of grimmaced and said if I did ride again and fell on the left side of my body I could damage the plates and reshatter the pelvis/hip socket. So I don't think he was real cool with the thought of my wadding up all of his hard work. :banghead:

So do nerves heal? and is there a time frame.

Thanks

If you have normal motor function, that is no major muscle group is paralysed, then I would expect the sensation to come back.

As far as riding, one the pelvis is healed, it healed and there is no reason not to ride. On subjects like this, never take advice from civilian (non riding) doctors.

In fact on any riding related musculoskeletal injury, you can never trust a civilian with "when can I ride again"?