Sign in to follow this  

broken collar bone

well, it happened last night, i was at a track in alpine WY and it was getting late. i had a hard, long week, and i wanted to get something in this weekend as my saturday was booked too.

i was having a great time, but i was tired and not feeling in the zone. i was hitting everything pretty good except for one jump. it was a 50' or so double. on one of my last runs i went for it and endoed and broke my collar bone on my handle bars.

senond time i've endoed and wrecked pretty bad.

sucks!!!!!!!!!!

bummer dude, it happens. I broke my collar bone (clavical) when i was younger, that sling thing was all i got, and I have a feling i stopped using it too soon, but you can't even tell it was broke, except for like a calcium deposit around the break. happy recovery, and to a speedy return to the sport we all love.

collarbone.jpg

This was the 5th time for the same bone...

Short on a double and got it in two spots. It healed pretty much like you see in the x-ray.

Damn.

Oh well you've gotten fixed up at hospital, you'll recover and be back to normal health again and riding before you know it, think postivily, think towards the future and being back riding, ride harder & faster next time!

I've always thought of it this way, riding's about having fun and riding fast not getting hurt or injuried, if you get hurt then that's that, it's an accident like any other accident in life. Like I said the intention of motocross is to become a fast rider and have fun not break bones or get hurt or get injuired. But like i said if we all thought any differently in life about every scenario in life then we'd never do anything with our lives. At the end of the day were all gonna die somehow so that's why we've gotta make the most of our life while were here, so ride harder and faster next time, to prove to yourslef you are a real rider! :banghead::applause:🤣

So what do they do at hospital they x-ray you but do they bandage you up?

Regards

Honda0001

I did mine 2 months ago. Problem was is that my shoulder was now a full inch shorter on the one side. Now I will be going in for surgery to have it re-broken and put back into proper place.

I did mine 2 months ago. Problem was is that my shoulder was now a full inch shorter on the one side. Now I will be going in for surgery to have it re-broken and put back into proper place.

When I broke mine the third time it ended up shorter. It took a year and a half before the rest of the musculature around the shoulder got used to the new shorter shoulder. It was constantly sore. I should have had surgery to set it right away. I've regretted not doing that ever since. Plus it sticks up as a big bump by my neck.

Same here. I broke mine playing rugby in college. The worst part was about 2 weeks into recovery, I was sleeping and, because I'm a restless sleeper, I rolled over on that side and heard a "pop"...I rebroke it! It was more painful than when it first happened.

Good luck on your recovery.

At about week four or five I was having all sorts of pain and discomfort in my shoulder joint - not at the break sites.

Went to the orthopod an showed him the x-ray. He said we needed to go in and plate the bone. He thought that it was a fresh x-ray. Told him it was already just about healed and he said bummer and that it was not worth the effort or the chance of more damage to the bone. If you can avoid the surgery, do. It's a thin bone that doesn't have a lot of blood supply - longer healing time when you mess with it.. Any sort of invasive proceedure (screws) puts more stress on it. (at least according to the Orthopod I saw) - You may want to ask yours about this. I'm sure all doctors have slightly different opinions.

I suffered pains and such for about 6 months and then all the ligaments, muscles and stuff around the break finally "seated in", if you will.

Not had any problems since then. Your body will adapt, it just hurts getting used to the new shape. :banghead:

The only problem I have with it now is the shoulder harness in my desert race car tends to rub on the bump and after a couple hours of thrashing in the seat, I end up with a nice bruise. - Even through padding and a three layer fire suit. Oh well.

Ok, here is my take on fractured clavicles (collar bones) Not only have I treated thousands of them, I have also one from a bad get off.

The biology of the clavicle is different from all the long bones and that causes it to heal more rapidly and reliably. Doctors should assist the enormous healing potential that the clavicle has.

In the first five to seven days, wear a sling. The figure of eight bandage is really no help in obtaining comfort, and will not lead to healing of the bone in any better or more functional position.

After that time start working the shoulder, working towards being able to lift it over the head. There will be popping and clicking which ranges from the disturbing to causing a freak out. Ignore it, it will stop in three to four weeks post injury.

At four weeks, or whenever the clicking stops, you can start lifting light weights. Start with an unopened coke can. From there you may progress to heavier weights as comfort allows.

Younger people will and kids will be able to ride inside of six weeks, us older folks will require as much as three months.

It is really important to realize that the clinical healing occurs much faster than the x-ray healing. Thats why, you hear brother riders telling us that they need surgery for the broken bone because it isn't healing. That tells me that there is a doctor who needs to make a car payment. Give the x-ray time and it always heals. There will always be a bump. Even if you have surgery, there will still be a bump. Consider it your mark of honor as a MXer.

Only a very few times in one thousand, does the bone fail to heal. In those cases, then operative treatment with a locked plate and screws, and a bone graft is necessary for treatment of a nonunion. Also remember the most likely cause of nonunion is failed surgery. That means, if no one messed with the bone the first time, it would have healed, but some dumb MD caused it not to heal.

Other uncommon times surgery is necessary includes, fractures of the same scapula, multiple fractures in that upper limb, multiple rib fractures on the same side, and fractures in the distal one third of the bone near the AC joint.

Bottom line, if all the doctors and nurses were abducted by aliens, then the outcome of all the fractured collar bone cases would improve greatly, as natural healing would occur, and almost no one would end up with a nonunion or worse a bone infection compounding a nonunion.

I broke my collar bone when I was 14 years old. It was about the most uncomfortable thing ever to happen to me because it moved around so much. Anyhow, About a week after i broke it it had started to stick so it was not moving around much but then I was running to my locker to get a book before class and tripped over a bush and broke it back again. LOL The crazy thing is I was out back on the football time as starting running back (JV) in less than 2.5 weeks total time. I guess when your young like that you heal much faster. I just separated my shoulder this past Saturday and Im getting better but I know it will be a few more weeks before IM back on the bike.

Mike