Sign in to follow this  

Oil Level ??

That link doesn't bring up a specific component. At least it doesn't for me.

Sorry about that, it seems that a direct link is not possible (well not if you are as good with a PC as me)

It is a sight glass/tube to check the oil level, It's for an XR650R.

You have to go to B/Designs/Motorcycle's/ XR650 Oil sight tube kit.

Neil.

:banghead::applause:🤣

Let's look at this another way. How about a liquid sensor probe inserted inside the dipstick tube so when it was covered with oil it would light a LED. This way you would know you had the correct oil level whenever the LED is lit.

Let's look at this another way. How about a liquid sensor probe inserted inside the dipstick tube so when it was covered with oil it would light a LED. This way you would know you had the correct oil level whenever the LED is lit.

I though of that, but oil splash would make that inaccurate I think.

The reason I am interested in this is checking the oil properly is a pain on a long journey, when the engine is hot all day.

(And I am a bit paranoid on this subject).

Neil.

:banghead::applause:🤣

Huh,

A pain? Sitting on your bike, you pull out the plug, clean it with a rag, put it back again, check the level and screw it in again?

What exactly is the problem then? I know very few bikes where you can check your oil level without leaving you buddy seat :banghead:

Noppy

Huh,

A pain? Sitting on your bike, you pull out the plug, clean it with a rag, put it back again, check the level and screw it in again?

What exactly is the problem then? I know very few bikes where you can check your oil level without leaving you buddy seat :applause:

Noppy

Run engine for three minutes, let stand for three minutes, and then check level. If you check level three minutes after blasting down the motorway you WILL get a wrong reading.

Neil. :banghead:🤣🤣

I agree with Neil.If i do the 3mins start,check 3 mins later the level is just upto the top line.If i give the bike a run for an hour or so the level is right up the stick,even after leaving it for 3 mins.

Andy UK :banghead:

I don't find a measurable difference between running for an hour or 3 mins as long as I leave it for 2-5 mins before checking. I do this when I gas up: the time it takes to go inside, get a bottle of water and a snack and pay for the gas is enough to get things settled down and get a good reading. I do this every day or, on long rides (500km+), I do it every couple of tanks. The "run for 3 mins" is just to get the oil up into the frame and up to operating temp: it isn't a magic number in any way. The hose and fittings would be easy enough to make and has crossed my mind too-easier is better (I'm gen X can't you tell!). Drill the frame above and below the oil level range you ant to measure, weld nuts of the appropriate size onto the frame (pressure test)-any good welder can do it- and attach the fittings and a high temp tube from a heavy equipment dealer- don't think 1/4" fuel line will handle the heat.

I always check mine after closing the garage, getting up the Attic and getting out of my gear and then remember that it's time again to check the oil level. Fortunately enough it hardly uses oil and never colors the oil from brown to black.

Noppy

mine doesn't use oil, no blowback (checked de piston), however my oil gets colored dark fairly soon after a few rides. I use semi-synthetic oil however.

Does anyone know how thick the front frame tube is (what gauge material), if it is 3 mm or more

it would be possible to just drill and tap a thread.

As pipe thread fittings have a tapered thread getting a good seal would not be a problem.

Neil. :banghead::applause:🤣