Sign in to follow this  

TTR-125l dies when stopping. Please help

We bought this 2004 ttr-125l last april brand new. When you slow down hard or stop it allways dies now. I have played with the idle screw and set the idle higher and lower and that doesnt seem to solve anything. Any thoughts why this could be? Any ideas of what I should check?

My TTR-230 doesnt do this at all.

For instance with the 125 when you come down a dirt hill and stop at the bottom it dies. If I pull out of my driveway and stop quick it dies.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks everyone.

P.S - It is the L model with no electric start and usually when I try to kick start it I have to give it some gas everytime or it wont start. Is that normal?

Probably need to re jet. They come lean from the factory as it is.Otherwise.. Idk. Clean the carb and clean the air filter (or replace).

mine does that when i do stoppies...i just keep it reved a little when i do stoppies...i think its just the floats when i do that tho..does it do it all the time or just down hills???

We bought this 2004 ttr-125l last april brand new. When you slow down hard or stop it allways dies now. I have played with the idle screw and set the idle higher and lower and that doesnt seem to solve anything. Any thoughts why this could be? Any ideas of what I should check?

My TTR-230 doesnt do this at all.

For instance with the 125 when you come down a dirt hill and stop at the bottom it dies. If I pull out of my driveway and stop quick it dies.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks everyone.

P.S - It is the L model with no electric start and usually when I try to kick start it I have to give it some gas everytime or it wont start. Is that normal?

my 03 used 2 do that but after riding it hard a few times it stopped

I had a similar problem with mine. Clean the pilot jet with cleaner, and then blow out the jet with compressed air and look to see if you can see all the way through the jet, if you cant, try sticking a very very thin piece of needle down the middle to clear whatever is in its way. That should do it. My bike wouldn't idle without the choke, so its pretty much the same problem.

Ok I have more time to post now. My 03 ttr started doing that for awhile. I tore the carb apart two times and cleaned the heck out of it. After the second time of finding a TON of black sh!t in there I decided to drain the tank and flush it out. After that I played with the idle screw, but it didn't really help. So I rode it hard once after that, and it idles pretty good now.

This morning ours didn't want to idle either, but it turned out that the fuel screw was too far out I think. The idle screw had no effect on the idle until I seated the fuel screw and backed it out 2 turns. Then it ran and idled perfectly.

Ok well i guess I will look into some of the tips here. I dont know much about jetting and the like but I guess it is time to learn. I am also going to learn how to clean the carb. Winter is almost here so I have alot of time to do this.

Anyone know where to get the IDLE machine thing that the manual says to hook up and you can set your idle with the RPM range? Wonder how much they cost. That could be handy.

Also it doesnt just happen when we go down hills. If I am going straight, fast or slow, and then just stop the engine dies. Its kind of a pain with no electric start and it didnt do it for most of the summer riding. WEIRD!

The idle machine thing probably costs $$$$$$$$ like everything else the manual wants you to buy.If I were you just learn how to adjust it yourself :banghead: Sorry I/ we couldn't pin point your problem for you. My best advice though is to just clean the carb. If there is a buunch of gunk in there flush your tank. Then reinstall and set the idle.

mine was doin the same thing. i cleaned the filter, cleaned the carb, changed the plug and rode it and after that it done fine.

You really don't need the idle machine! If you have a good ear you'll know exactly where the idle needs to be. Today was the first day that I've been riding in a month and a half (because of school and work) and ironically I was having the same exact problems as the original poster. When I got home I seated the fuel screw and backed it out 1 and a quarter turn. I also went a quarter turn on the idle screw and now all is good.