Georgetown Ranger

I wanted to say thank you for having my request for a riding guide posted on the site. I had a really great ride out with bigbob and am very appreciative of everyone taking a little time out to help me improve my skills.

I have spent a couple years out working on the trails out here and have hiked them all numerous times, but I feel it is important to get the veiw of them from the bike.

If anyone else is coming out and interested in helping to give me a few more pointers. I appreciate it. I can be contacted at danawalsh@fs.fed.us

Dana:

I'm glad it worked out well for you. I think you lucked out by getting Bob to be your trail guide/riding instructor. Be sure to practice what you learned today.

And don't be shy about dropping in here once in awhile to report your progress.

See ya at the next Rock Creek Colaborative meeting or on the trails.

Ride on

Brewster aka Bruce

Good job Dana, you did real well today. I'm gonna call the local yamaha dealer or in fact Cisco on this board works at Roseville Yamaha. I'll ask them the specific tire size for your bike and then e-mail you a link to those more aggressive tread dual sport tires in your size.

go visit the Thumperette forum, the dual sport forum and the bike forums too, also in the technical forum is an "off road riding techniques" forum. join in there, don't be shy about making new posts and asking questions. beware the Town square forum.

last but most important don't believe anything anybody says about me here, especially some guy named superslyko, he is a super banana. maybe see ya next week.

WOW! Way to go Dana, it's great to see the land managers stepping up and trying to understand why we do what we do! It certainly makes it easier to manage motorized trails if you know how to ride.

We have a few FS people on the Colville NF that are learning to ride and it has helped them to understand where we are coming from. We spent many many hours over the last couple of years with one of their Trails guys on one of our favorite singletrack trail systems up north. He was an older guy that was a hiker and he was in no way interested in learning how to ride anything motorized except his pickup truck.

He had some good knowledge about trails but really didn't understand how to apply it to motorized trails, especially singletrack. Fortunately, after he realized that we were willing to volunteer a substantial amount of hours to help him, he started to listen and learn what worked and what didn't work for motorized trails. He had a very specific plan for altering the trail system he was working on and some of his ideas were okay, unneccessary but okay. Other ideas he had were totally unacceptable. We met with him numerous times, hiked miles of trails and looked at many different options and finally, he began to understand some of what we were trying to get through to him.

To his credit, he did admit that he learned a lot and even though he would never be throwing a leg over a bike, he felt that the compromises he made were justified. We were just happy he didn't ruin our trail system!

Thanks for taking the time to learn how to ride Dana! And bigbob, way to go on helping her out.

Ret Senior, bike hasn't knocked your butt off the seat again has it ? :banghead:

:banghead: Shirley,

Glad to see you're feeling better! ?

I'm going thru withdrawls ............... I need my Stonyford / Clear Creek / Downieville fix. :banghead:

My bike is all ready, new muffler bearings, updated piston return spring, fresh air in the tires! Oh, & the pipe guard is fixed! It's UGLY GOOD! ?

WST here I come! ?:busted:

:banghead: Well.........almost.

KTM did me a favor and put the 2.9 gallon clear tank as a stock item. ?

You know those KTM boys like to think of everything. ?

I get about 50 - 60 miles on one tank of gas. ? But hey, I don't really know since the MXC doesn't have an odometer and I'm too cheap to buy one! :busted:

Somebody else usually has one of those, and I just ride until it won't go anymore. :busted:

Oh.......hey...... I did run outta gas on this ride from hell........ The Mystery 250. Ask me about that sometime! :busted:

Hyjack in process! Sorry Dana! :banghead:

Lori...checking out our fine state are you. I've been staying on the bike lately. Hope to see you & Karl at the 2006 Valentines day ride or whatever they call it now days. Always great to have more women riders out there and great to have Dana out and about learning all aspects of riding and the trail systems. Of course we wont have her on a CR500 anytime soon!!!

since all you guys are dog piling on this post, do something useful and find the tire sizes for Dana's yamaha dual sported XT225. I've suggested she get the USFS to dump those rag tires she has now and get some DOT kenda trackmaster II's on the rear and some DOT MT-16's on front. otherwise all this training and our lady ranger will be on her butt all winter with those bald death tires she has on that bike now.

give us a link to the correct tire size for that bike, as I want to confirm that kenda makes a trackmaster II for that bike. her tires and wheell size on that XT 225 looked micro size not really normal dirt bike size.

the yamaha web site says 120/80x18 for rear tire

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/9/0/specs.aspx

now rocky mountian has no such tire listed for Kenda track master II, closest one is a 120/100x18.

http://rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=5395&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&pageLinkUri=&webCatId=8&vehicleType=&priceRange=allPrices&webTypeId=139&brandId=142&navType=type

is a 120/80x18 same as almost as a 120/100x18. will the the 120/100x18 work on her bike?