Sign in to follow this  

DVD recommendation for trail riding techniques

I am looking for a DVD to learn beginning to intermediate trail riding techniques. I don't do MX, however I'm open to an MX DVD that would also apply to trail riding. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I am looking for a DVD to learn beginning to intermediate trail riding techniques. I don't do MX, however I'm open to an MX DVD that would also apply to trail riding. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

MX riding techniques also apply to off-road. From what I've heard, some of the fastest off-road riders in the world practice exclusivley on MX tracks.

I have been on a local Bay Area track many times with Rodney Smith. He is injured now but trains regularly on a MX track. He motos faster than any of the locals.

have been on a local Bay Area track many times with Rodney Smith. He is injured now but trains regularly on a MX track. He motos faster than any of the locals

What does that have to do with my ?

All MX techniques/training DVDs also apply to trail riding. If you practice MX you will become a better trail rider. Rodney Smith is a GNCC champion which is exclusively trails but trains on a MX track.

Ok, I am interested in this too.

However I wouldn't think that all MX stuff applies to tight woods. Imagine going around a corner, sitting up on the tank with your leg extended forward...and plow your foot right into a stump...done it and very painful. I keep my toes on the pegs as much as possible.

Ok, I am interested in this too.

However I wouldn't think that all MX stuff applies to tight woods. Imagine going around a corner, sitting up on the tank with your leg extended forward...and plow your foot right into a stump...done it and very painful. I keep my toes on the pegs as much as possible.

The basic techniques are applicable to any kind of riding, even if people claim them to motocross. Off-road racers that have techniques tuned in perfectly for off-road obstacles and such will go to a motocross track and ride, where they can focus on making sure they use the basic techniques, and can ride their bike to the fullest.

For off-road, you use the same basic techniques (what people like to call motocross techniques), but you'll have to make adjustments based on conditions and the surroundings. You will also need a few that a motocross book most likely will not have. A motocross technique book covers the same basic techniques that an off-road book would. The same goes for DVDs of course. The only difference is the off-road book will have the extra few things about off-road obstacles, but everything else, turning, braking, acceleration, and jumping will apply to both motocross and off-road.

Where off-road specific techniques come into play, you will want an off-road technique book, or a book with a combination of motocross and off-road techniques. The off-road title means it will/should cover log crossings, water crossings, rocks, and other off-road obstacles.

In a nutshell. Yes, the off-road and motocross technique books/DVDs contain the same basic techniques, BUT, off-road books/DVDs have those extra off-road specific techniques for obstacles.

So we understand what the content of these dvd/books will cover....but to get back to the question does any one have any recomendations?

All of the Crusty Demons videos will get you headed in the right direction. J/K. Brad.

Ryan Young sells a Training DVD called Trials Training Techniques and Cross-Training Tools.

Very good for those that need or skipped the "Basics". After 30 years of riding, I still learned something from it.

Don't be fooled because he's using a Trials Bike to show this stuff. I have seen a web site from Germany showing a guy riding a Trials Bike over a big log and up large rock ledges and then ride the very same stuff on what looked like a KTM or a Gas Gas Enduro-Cross Bike.

Here is the order page for the DVD if you want to take a look:

Ryan Young Training DVD

i went to amazon and bought two "offroad riding and motocross techniques books". im waiting for them in the mail.

Dick Burleson offered a 2 tape VHS series devoted exclusvely to off road riding. Thumper Racing offered the product, but I am not sure if they still do. You may have to hunt throught E Bay. But is worth the effort as the "king" addresses most every facet of terrian obstacle that you will encounter. There are some funny out takes of Burleson being less then succesful in efforts to traverse some of the obstacles, it serves as a good illustration that even the best can falter. He does all of this aboard a stock 95 era XR250

If you send me a copy I will send you a copy of Ryans trials techniques. This guy explains in detail how to do some amazing things on a motorcycle.

Dick Burleson offered a 2 tape VHS series devoted exclusvely to off road riding

That would be great but I only have a DVD player. Still waiting for a DVD title. Anybody :banghead:

Get Moto Hed "Time to Ride" and watch Randy Hawkins rip through the woods. Watch it long enough and somthing will rub off. Really, the best thing for me has been riding with fast people and going to a mx track. One trip to a track did a lot for me. MX brings a whole different element to cornering. The turns on the track felt big compared to the width of a trail, and that gave me a different perspective on cornering that I never would have had before. The track I rode at is poop and i won't be going back, but hey, i learned a thing or two. Just riding on different terrain helps me as well. Mix it up and learn somthing in a new environment.

So we understand what the content of these dvd/books will cover....but to get back to the question does any one have any recomendations?

I think that several of the Gary Semics MX training videos would be good for you. The first two are about basic riding techniques that applies pretty much everywhere (except for the foot in the stump caveat above), and his Cornering video is also good. Go to the MX Techniques forum and click through the Gary Semics banner to get to his website. Gary is a TT sponsor, and he also contributes in the MX forum :banghead: