Sign in to follow this  

Alternative battery needed

I'm working on getting my 1987 TLR 200 back street legal and need a better battery solution.

The original led acid battery hung off teh right side of the rear fender just behind the shock. I believe this was an after thought adapted to meet US dual sport standards.

I need somthing lighter, more compact, and fitted in a better location.

My goal is mainly to run turn signals and brake lights glowing bright enough as to meet the need in traffic. A 20 min reserve as required by inspection would be nice, but I can rig a seperate battery pack for inspection if needed.

As I mentioned Headlights, turn signals and horn are it. All currently work with no battery, but when I hit the brake I loose the turn signals and hit teh turnsignals and loose the tail light.

Maybe rewind or add windings to the stator and add a capicitor?

Since I like having at least a tail light with the engine off, I use a small completely sealed battery made for lawn equipment. It was about $25 from a battery shop and has been going strong for three years now doing double duty between my XL600 and my Honda mower. It is possibly the best $25 I ever spent on the bike. It weighs maybe a pound and isn't much bigger than two packs of cigarettes. They come in all different sizes. On my XL it lets me get rid of all the crazy complicated battery compartment crap and just zip tie the thing in.

Thanks all for the replys :banghead:

Any more details on this Lawn mower batter the size of 2 packs of cigs.

I like the WB Battery eleminator, but the Lawn mower batter would be about the same cost and more inspection friendly.

Size, brand, amp hr rate, part #

I'll hit my loacal Battery Barn on Tuesday and see what I can find.