Sign in to follow this  

help with bike choice.

hey all. im lookign at getting a new bike. im looking at either a 250f or 125r. I have been riding a 1982 XR-80. its getting tiring quick. if i didnt love all things moto, i wouldve have murtalized and destroyed the bike far sooner. anyways, i got on my friends cr-125, and it rips. i love how smooth the power comes on and i really love the suspension.( he weighs 140 lbs, as do i) Im 5'7", and 140 lbs, so i think i could handle most bikes, i can sit comfortably on most bikes. i am just learning the basics of motocross, cause that 80 was just a playbike. the bike that i think sits most comfortably is the KX100. they dont have a race class for it though. i want to start racing 125s, and i heard that it is easier to learn the basics on a 2-stroke cause you have to be on your toes and ride harder, and you can be lazier on a 250f. i would think it would make me a better rider to be on a 125 and learn how to ride at a disadvantage, than it owuld be to learn on a 250f. i also heard that there is so much maintenance on a 250f, like changing the oil after every hard ride, valves always going out, and i havent heard many things wrong with my friends 125. i pretty much think a 125 is better, but if a 250f is better, please correct me!

-Zach

Unless you can keep up with the maintenance one the 4-stroke I would look at the 2-stroke. However the maintenance problems you hear associated with the crf 250f's are a bit exaggerated if you ask me.