Sign in to follow this  

Fork Twist

I overjumped a small double today and landed square on the face of the next table top (maybe a 30 ft jump). I was rather out of control for a bit after landing, but never crashed or dropped the bike. However, when I looked down, I saw that my forks were tweaked in the triple clamps.

I have stock lower clamps and RG3 uppers. It wasn't the bars bending (Pro Taper), or the rubber mounts flexing/twisting. Is that normal? I NEVER dropped the bike! It was a helluva an impact, but having just torqued everything down to spec only a week ago, any movement seems suspect. Any thoughts? :banghead:

Thanks in advance.

I think you are talking about the forks being twisted in the clamps, like your bars are straight but the wheel is not? That happens usually when you lay it down sideways just right on a good set of bars. It could have been from landing with the front wheel turned alittle? Anyway its no big deal. Get the bike up on a stand and loosen the clamps, straighten the front end up and then retorque the pinch bolts.

Or it maybe the bolts that come up into the bar clamps, they will also bend with a good impact. But I doubt that with the RG3s you have 4 bolts that mount the bar clamps, right?

You just tweaked your triple clamps, loosing everything up and wiggle your bar alittle to straighten everything and then retighten. no big deal

Hey CJ and Red... I appreciate your input.

Yeah, the RG3's have that 4 bolt system, so that's not the problem. It was, as you said, the forks twisting in the clamps. I did land hard, probably with the wheel at an angle.

I'm not too worried about getting them straight - that part I can handle. What I'd like to prevent, and seems strange, is that the forks would move in the clamps without a crash - just a hard/cockeyed landing. Is this common? I can imagine that pros have some hard landings, but I doubt that they suffer any kind of twist like I just did. Afterward the forks became harsher due to the misalignment of things. I dunno.

Just another minor issue, but one that struck me as being odd. Thanks again.

You may want to get your torque wrench checked if that is what your using. Ive never seen a fork get twisted from hard landing without a wreck. Unless it was one of those massive lock to lock swap outs that God decided you didnt need to pay for...

Hey champ. Just do what they say, that´s the way.. But about you never dropped the bike.... Hmm then you ride it like a biatz.. :-) It´s a must to be in the dirt a couple of times during practice.. You need to touch the limit and learn to move it.. Yeah.. :-) Cuz not during table double or so, atleast not to often... he he.

You may want to get your torque wrench checked if that is what your using. Ive never seen a fork get twisted from hard landing without a wreck. Unless it was one of those massive lock to lock swap outs that God decided you didnt need to pay for...

I agree,, your torque wrench maybe off a bit. I have never had one move without a crash.

But a lock to lock,, I always pay for those, ALWAYS. :banghead:

Thanks for the input guys (had to read the Jesper's twice...).

I didn't pay for this one in the dirt, but my knee is tweaked today. I'll check on my torque wrench - that's got to be it. I know I was lucky on this one but not above the laws of physics. I appreciate the help. :banghead:

Had the same problem. Had just put a new front tire and put everything back together. torqued specs and everything. Had 1 practice session and noticed my front end was off. Mechanic comes over to tell me that you have to seat the axle when you put it back in. Another words, when you slide the axle back in you need to take it off the stand and compress your forks a couple of times before you tighten everything up. Its supposed to line up everything so that problem doesnt happen. I tried it and it seemed to work. Hope that helps.

When I had my RG3 top clamp, I noticed on big hits with "near" crashes, the rubber mounts would totally squish, and even tear. It looked as if my triple clamps were off, but actually the bar mounts were slightly tweaked and the rubber cones were torn. That's why I don't go with RG3 anymore. Seems the material the cones are made of tear really easy. Check those just to be sure.