Sign in to follow this  

Get ready for the longest grip change of your life..

I love my 2006 KX250F and one of my only gripes is the very hard and uncomfortable grips. After a long practice session today, I decided to replace them. The thottle side came off in only seconds as normal. The clutch side grip took over 30 minutes! I have never seen glue so strong in my life. The grip would not come off and I had to shave it off and even this was difficult. I ended up using gasket remover, 3 coats, to get the gunk out of the textured portion of the Renthal bars.

Anyone else experience this on the KX250F or other bike? Any tips on how to get one off lkes this?

I use an air compressor and a high pressure nozzle. Set at 100 psi, they always come right off. Try it, it really works.

"i think it takes like 30 mins for someone with down syndrome"

Not cool

Anyhow, I dont ever use glue, just safety wire. Makes replacement MUCHO easier

safety wire is the best way to go

where the hell did you get the idea to use spray paint? i guess thats cool if it works though

Spray paint is a good idea, a clear coat spray would probably work good as well.

i change my grips once every 2 weeks cuz i wear them out from riding or racing pretty quick...i found that using gasket sealer as a glue works best...after u cut the grip off with a razor blade the glue usually comes right off with the grip or peels off the bar with ease...also use saftey wire when installing

Cut them off with a razor blade and put them on with nail polish remover. the nail polish remover allows you to slide them on easily and once they are on the stuff drys better than any glue. I usually safety wire mine too, even though they never move.

chainlube is the best thing i have found for grip glue!!!!!

my friend told me it worked good and it dident beleve him but i tryed it and it works awsome...

its really slipery so it easy to get on then in about a minute the grips like start sticking just like they would with glue.... but there are still a little hard to get off , but not too bad

I replace the grips on my bikes with Renthal full-waffle soft grips before I even leave the dealer.

But if you want a magic carpet ride, get those foam grip donuts...oh man, if hands could have an orgasm, :banghead:

when taking grips off i just cut them. then if there is excess glue left over i will try some mineral turps or a heat gun. when i put grips on i use hair spray. the stuff girls use to make their hair go stiff. it slips on easy, and let it sit for a bit then it gets sticky and dries. i also use grip tie wire aswell. having rotating grips while racing will increase arm pump significantly. my KXF just came in to the dealer today. so i will see how it is tomorrow.

i change my grips once every 2 weeks cuz i wear them out from riding or racing pretty quick...i found that using gasket sealer as a glue works best...after u cut the grip off with a razor blade the glue usually comes right off with the grip or peels off the bar with ease...also use saftey wire when installing

:banghead:

changed my grips last night and maddogyz was right. i was about to just go buy new bars becuase there was a layer of the grip on the bars that would not come off. so i got a metal file and got most of it off. 30 minutes of hell

kawasaki's have always been bad about really glueing the grips on. most people usually threw the stock steel bars away and the throttle grip was crap to get off. but the fastest way to get the grips off is to replace those crapy renthals with Tag bars and grips. saves mucho timo

kawasaki's have always been bad about really glueing the grips on. most people usually threw the stock steel bars away and the throttle grip was crap to get off. but the fastest way to get the grips off is to replace those crapy renthals with Tag bars and grips. saves mucho timo

05 didn't have much glue, maybe i got lucky..but ya the stock steel bars gotta go and so does that throttle, so if u change them both u dont gotta deal with changing stock grips haha....also the renthals that come on new bikes aren't your typical bend than u can buy...they are weird and suck..i found twinwalls to be pretty comfy