Sign in to follow this  

To dispel the valve myth

Today I had to replace the head gasket on my sons 04. It was weeping antifreeze just below the exhaust port. So while I was at it I re-ringed it as well. I had noticed that following him that there was no smoke, but only a smell of oil. At any rate, The valves were in spec, showing no signs of tightening. My son bought his bike when they just came out in 03. He's a very fast intermediate, giving the local pro's a fit at times. So all this talk of valves being a problem. I just wonder about the hype. :banghead:

Seams as if some people are getting hammered by valve issues, and others haven't had a single issue. I'd love to get to the bottom of this. I have an 04 CR450, just did my first top end on it, even though 1 intake valve was tight, it wasn't what I would consider abnormal wear.

On my 04 both intake valves went bad.

I think in my case the problem was caused by the amount of dust that the motor sucked.

Even though I cleaned my airfilter after every ride and changed my oil every 3 rides.

What I did though was opened up the air box, removed the side panel vent wings, and cut the back of the side panels.

I have had the bike less then a year when the valves went bad.

I noticed eventhough I kept on top of the air filter maintenance there was a lot of dirt sludge that collected in the carb top and on the slide which meant most of the dust was entering the motor.

I now have an 06 and I left the air box and side panels alone I already noticed how much cleaner my filter is after a ride, I will continue to monitor the carb for aculimation of dirt sludge.

In short I think opening my air box caused more air flow, thus more dust flow and that's what caused the intake valves to wear out so quickly.

Just my 2 cent theory

I noticed eventhough I kept on top of the air filter maintenance there was a lot of dirt sludge that collected in the carb top and on the slide which meant most of the dust was entering the motor.

Read here and here.

Today I had to replace the head gasket on my sons 04. It was weeping antifreeze just below the exhaust port. So while I was at it I re-ringed it as well. I had noticed that following him that there was no smoke, but only a smell of oil. At any rate, The valves were in spec, showing no signs of tightening. My son bought his bike when they just came out in 03. He's a very fast intermediate, giving the local pro's a fit at times. So all this talk of valves being a problem. I just wonder about the hype. :banghead:

I used that theory when I purchased my last truck: My buddies F150 blew a transmission, and my other buddies Chevy never did ......SO... :applause: .. by process of elimination....... Fords must have transmision problems and chevs dont🤣 ................. Exactly! its a poor way to make a conclusion

As far as CRFs I know 3 guys have never had problems , 2 guys who have never checked valve clearances (they can be grouped with the NO problem guys) and 4 (including me ) who have had valves go bad...SO...🤣 Im in the " Honda has a poor design group"

and I know Nobody of at least 20 + YZF owners who have NEVER had problems...SO..🤣

You cant pick up a mag that dosnt reference something about Honda valve life....and TT is full of crf valve talk..........So .........🤣

AS far as the "HYPE" some have problems some dont, you get to be creative and make up your own conclusion , just as I did 🤣

I really dont see what the big deal is. I personally havn't had a lick of trouble but if I did this late in the game Ide throw new Ti valves in it.. and if they go out fast Ide throw SS valves in... Problem solved.