Sign in to follow this  

Off Trail - down hill - dumped it

Crashed about 10 feet off the trail and about 5 feet down🤣

Very soft mossy dirt, some rocks, fauna & flora, branches, trees, trunks to negotiate. Basically a woodsy mountainous park. (Gifford Pinchot, WA)

Best way back to the trail is uphill. Couldn't get any traction though :busted::banghead: I stood on the uphill side with the bike horizontal. Even the slightest turn uphill and the rear would simply slide out downhill and slide sideways. After several attempts including going very slow slow, start in second, and a trench or two :busted: I managed to move about 20 feet sideways and ran out of room due to a fallen tree and a couple of large rocks.

I did learn a riding partner can be helpful even if it's only about 3 miles back to staging, downhill on an easy trail, nice riding with you guys we can split up here :busted:🤣:applause:🤣🤣🤣🤣

But what is a good technique to try?

when goin up hill, get good momentum

if you have enough room get up to mid-high 2nd or low third, then as momentum takes you up keep givin it gas

oh and dont forget to stand so it is esier to keep your balance

I've been in that situation more times than I can count. I ride alone alot and sometimes there's no other option than getting it back up to the trail. Alot of times you can't ride it back up because the slope is too steep, too loose. Getting uphill of it and trying to drag it up doesn't work well because the footpeg digs in and the bike just pivots on it. In those situations, flipping the bike back up onto the trail works good. Can take alot of energy but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

What is your rear suspension setting. I have been practicing hills alot this summer and have found that a poorly setup rear suspension will cause spinning and hopping (no traction). One or two clicks one way or the other could make all the difference. :banghead: