Sign in to follow this  

Getting a good deal on a 2005 450!

As you can tell by my screen name I'm a Yamaha fan. However, I've been ready to upgrade from my 04 YZ 450. I thought I was going to try either the 06 Honda or Suzuki. However a great deal on a brand new 2005 CRF 450 has fallen into my lap, $5200.00 OTD. So, I think I'm gonna save a few bucks and get it. I race the Vet class maybe 5-10 times a year so I don't "have to have" the latest and greatest bike, right? Anyway I know a little about this model but you guys are the experts. What are the flaws or trouble spots if any? What are the best mods? I don't care to mess with the cams or the top end, probably an exhaust down the road and of course suspension mods. Thanks in advance, formally blueblood 221, now...??? Redrum 221??? Ha Ha :banghead:

welcome... lets see.... IMHO its plenty fast outa the crate and all ya need is some suspension work done for your weight.. maybe an exhaust i have the t4 slip on and i think it works great. i have also not had any problems with mine either

Congrats on the the new bike. Nothing like getting a brand new shiny bike to ride.

Nothing wrong with trying a new factory. They are all good these days. But they all have their strong and weak points. It's a good try out something different.

Best of luck with the bike. I am sure you'll love it. You'll also learn a lot from it.

The '05 should be a great ride. However, try to ride one first to see how you like it. See if the steering seems right for you. Pleanty of power. If you MX only, I can recommend a few easy mods. Keep in mind that this bike is race ready out of the crate!!! You will love it. :banghead:

From what I read... Lower the forks in the clamps and slow the rebound. I did it on mine and had good results.

p.s. I went for the '05 and the cash savings a couple weeks ago and I know I wouldn't have noticed the difference to an '06.

Pay a $100 and work with a pro suspension guy some afternoon. Get the rebound and compession dialed in for how you currently ride. That will be worth more to you than a set of dunlaps. I speak from expeience!