Sign in to follow this  

1st ride 06 450exc

Hi guys, took the new toy out for it's first run this weekend and was very impressed Apart from a few ergo mods required for my 6'4" height, it's all good That suspension is sweeeet! :applause: The new didnt go down to well in the Yamaha forum..... :banghead:

I'm glad you had a great ride but安hy did you choose the KTM over the wr450?

I'm shopping and trying to separate the 2 bikes. Its a tough call!

I'll tell you what, I bought the KTM 525 and my uncle bought the 05 wr450. I like mine better and he has rode mine a couple of times and also likes it better. The ergos seem better and the bike is better balanced. The power is also much better and very smooth.

I'm glad you had a great ride but安hy did you choose the KTM over the wr450?

I'm shopping and trying to separate the 2 bikes. Its a tough call!

1:i think the ergos are better. Better suspension. Hydraulic clutch.6 speed

2:with the yammy, the lower timing chain sprocket is part of the crank. This means new crank when the sprocket wears out.

3: I'm just an average trail rider and I dont really need Ti valves.

3: I'm just an average trail rider and I dont really need Ti valves.

I've been hearing so much crap lately about how insanely fast Ti valves wear after the coating is gone. Some people are like, well ss valves are harder on the engine, but every Xr and TTR has ss valves and they last longer than twinkies.

I just put a fresh set of Ti valves in my 426.I was only a few rides away from dropping the centre inlet. The ktm definately isnt as snappy as the yamaha, and I bet it looses top end to the yammy as well, but the power is more user friendly. If you are a bench racer go with the ti valved engine, but I think the ktm is better for the real world trail rider in my opinion. Especially if you do technical hillclimbs where smoothness is more important than HP.

Hamish,

I remember the crap you took from the WR kids on their forum. To them it seems more HP is always better. I agree with your below quote, but it would stir up a lot of hornets with the WR kids.

Especially if you do technical hillclimbs where smoothness is more important than HP.

The other thing about getting a lot of HP quick, is it tires you out much faster than the same HP delivered with predictable smoothness.