Sign in to follow this  

Should I buy or run from this YZ250F?

I looked at a 2002 YZ250f for my son to ride and it has a couple of items that concern me. Are these problems that will cost me $$$$ down the road?

1) Both of the front forks have a thin layer of oil on them so the oil seals are leaking. The bike was used in the sand so I wonder if the the film/tearoff trick will clean up the seals.

2) The seller also told me the seal behind the sprocket on the engine leaks and requires changing once in a while. What would cause this seal to leak? I also saw an area near the front sprocket that had been repaired with epoxy and I was told the damage was caused by a broken chain. It did look like a good patch job.

Other than these two items that bike is in very good condition. My son, 13, will be riding this bike. The majority of the riding will on trails with a trip now and then to a MX track.

The seller owns a tile business and takes care of his toys. The 5 other bikes in his spotless garage, along with is sand rail, toy hauler, boat, truck.... all looked like they all could be in a showroom and were well maintained.

I would run, buy new if it is an option. you know the history then. I have an 04 for 3500. come with gear, parts, stand. look at it in the classified section

If all his other toys are in nice shape I wonder why he hasn't fixed this yz250f??? Maybe he knows it's time to sell it and move on, so be careful. Oh, and the epoxy is more than likely a short term fix. I did the same thing with a loose chain but to fix it right I replaced the case, it got me thru my AX race just fine but started leaking by the end.

The leaky forks is nothing. $150 maby. Now if he has had to replace that seel behind the sprocket a couple of times I would be concerned.

The countershaft seal issue could be caused by a groove worn in the collar on which the seal runs. The collar is relatively cheap and easily replaced.

Examine the fork legs, looking for deep nicks and vertical scratches that would cause a leak. If these are fairly minor, they can be sanded out by hand. Fork seals and dust boots will cost about $40 retail, and you can either buy a seal driver for $60, make one, or pay to have it done. It's a simple job.

Neither of these two issues worry me much, but you need to find out how many times the valves have been adjusted, and, if possible how much, and how often he changes the oil. How much he wants for it has a lot to do with the decision, too, I would think.

id be a little pessimistic to buy any used bike, let alone a 250f. i know that yz250fs are very very solid, but you can still mess them up depending on how hard you ride it. id run, keep looking

I buy used bikes all the time, and there are nice ones out there, you don't have to by new. As far as the one mentioned, I agree with 696, that is a band aid fix. The case should be replaced, and its expensive fix, whole motor must come apart. That is one of the first areas you should always check when buying a used dirt bike, good thing you noticed it before you got it home.

In the garage

2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R version

2002 Ducati 998, Bayliss Edition

2003 Suzuki GSXR1000

2001 KTM 640 LC4

2002 Yamaha WR 250

2005 Suzuki DRZ400, supermotard

2003 Suzuki RM 100, daughters bike

2003 Kawasaki 650 Prairie

I'd run, that case fix sounds sketchy to me. Take it from a guy who was stupid enough to buy a beat 02, if it has visible problems on the outside, there's uglier ones within. There are many other fish in the sea

If he couldn't keep the chain tensioned, maybe he should have spent more time with the wrench then with the sponge.