Sign in to follow this  

Diesel fuel mileage 05 F250 plus question about addind extra fuel tanks?

Just a FYI.

Only had it a few months. I'm told it will get better when it breaks in (that could be 100.000 though).

Getting 14 MPG driving 30 miles to work and 30 back , Some times 15 MPG (butt that only happened twice).

Towing a Ragen 30' fifth wheel up to Big Bear and up to Tahoe on the 395.

I got 9 MPG.

At 14/15 I'll get 406/435 total miles

Butt at 9 I'll only get 261 total miles

So I bought a couple green VP gas jugs to bring extra diesel. I don't want to run out.

Does any body know about adding a second or larger fuel tank?

Can Ford do it or is their better option aftermarket?

PS

Its a four door short bed F250 with the smaller turbo PSD.

I think the 1 tons get the bigger motor.

It hauls ass and tows easy.

The (I think) electric fan comes on when climbing steep grades and its loud kinda unerving at first but it doesn't overheat.

I'm a Chevy man butt I like this Ford alot.

I got in on that familly plan deal saved 10k

I DO NOT like to haggle .

my 2005 only got around 12 mpg, it is getting better mileage as it breaks in, I have 14000 miles and it gets around 15 mpg .

I have a 2003 Excursion with the 6.0L. I get 13 around town and 18 on the highway. I tow a 26' Warrior loaded at 10k lbs. and I get about 11 mpg when its hooked up. I am on my second motor as the first one broke a crank at 13k miles and I now have 25k. Warranty replaced it.

T-Diddy

Mine is a 05 f-250 4x4 crew cab, and I was getting 16 or so in town with stock tires, I put 35" tires on it, and my in town milage went down to 14-15. 6000 miles on the clock.

Time to buy the Dodge Cummins. The cummins is the diesel thats not only known for power, but known for mileage. My dad's 04.5 6 speed 4x4 gets about 18-19, and about 16 loaded down.

Time to buy the Dodge Cummins. The cummins is the diesel thats not only known for power, but known for mileage. My dad's 04.5 6 speed 4x4 gets about 18-19, and about 16 loaded down.

I'll believe it when I see it......

Yeah, I would say the same thing, it is pretty hard to fathom. But, we've had both the PSD and Cummins, and power to power ratio, the cummins has always gotten the better mileage. Just check around on the forums and such, you'll find reports of people getting close to or about 20 mpg with their Dodge Cummins.

Check out www.rv.net or www.dieselplace.com for more info on auxiliary tanks. I followed a link last week and your looking at $900.00 and up for tanks from 30 gallon and up.

Thanks.

RV.net is great I go their to.

I'll check out dieselplace.

$900 sounds about what I thought. Butt thats a little steep right now.

My new 04' F350 Crew Cab Lariat got @ 18-18.5 MPG on the highway for the first 2k miles.

After my mods, Bullydog programmer, Cold air intake, 5" exhaust (no cat), injectors, 37" tires w/ 20" rims, & 4.10 ring & pinion. I could never achieve better than 13-14 MPG on the highway and 12 MPG pulling a 12,000 lb. toyhauler, (but I could powerbrake it and smoke the rears all the way into OD on the tranny). :banghead::banghead:

I have sold tons of them, and guys are getting anywhere from mid teens to low 20's depending on what type of driving they are doing. I have seen little old guys getting 22 on the highway. Towing varies alot depending on the load. One problem I have found is that they have so much power it is fun to keep your foot in it all the time. Just remember that if the turbo is whistling alot you are not getting peak mileage.

Ditto. Cheap free mods and you could be getting about 20 on the highway.

OK, whatever. I have a 2005 GMC Duramax and get 14 on the highway, 12 around town. :banghead:

I bought a ford instead of the chevy because I wanted a truck, not an all wheel drive car. A Yugo would get good mileage too, but I wouldnt run out and buy one.

OK, whatever. I have a 2005 GMC Duramax and get 14 on the highway, 12 around town. :banghead:

Maybe you have a heavy foot, but my bro has a 04 LLY Duramax with some free mods and gets about 20 on the highway.

I call BS....

Its posts like those that misinform.

I could leave out the tenths and round up to show better mileage (maybe even up to 17/18MPG).

Which is what I suspect happens a lot.

See, when people chip their trucks, they will always go by what the computer reads out for fuel mileage, when in fact the chip effects the readout of mileage. No one ever takes the time to actually hand calculate out the mileage to see what they really get. I bet if the guys runnin chipped trucks actually took the time to hand calc their mileage, then I think it would read a little differant then the read-out overhead.

Your fuel economy can be gaged by the turbo boost gage. If you can keep the turbo boost gage below 10 P.S.I. you should get 20 mpg. That means staying out of the throttle. If you run 15 to 20 p.s.i. you will only get 9-15 mpg. I am on my second 6.0 diesel truck, and have found this to be accurate.

Don't get caught up in the Edge Products claim to give you more fuel economy. I had this system on my 2003 F250. It will give you the same fuel economy, but it hauls ass. I ran off and left all the jap cars with their bumble bee exhaust, and even a few Mustang GT's, but when I ran it hard I lost fuel economy.

Dont forget, if you change your tire size, your bound to change the speedometer. You will never figure out the actual mileage unless you use a gps to know the exact number of miles you have driven.

Check your F250, both of my trucks were off by 3 miles per hour at 70. That is, when my spedo registered 70 I was only doing 67 mph. This is about 5% off at speed, and gives the illusion of getting better fuel economy.