Sign in to follow this  

300w/FCR vs 331w/CVK vs 331w/FCR

Well, we got our bikes back from FSW. Everything was tight and ready to go. We took them on a short break in run from Silverwood Lake, up Miller canyon to the singletrack at Arrowhead and back. They all ran strong, but we took it a little easy on them. We spent a lot of time switching bikes and trying each other's bikes so I can give you a pretty good idea of the differences.

The obvious winner is LT's 331 w/ FCR carb - KLX #1. The thing is just electric in 3rd gear. It's like you never need to shift, but get on it and it goooooes!! You can lug this bike waaaaay down and the engine never complains or even seems like it wants to sputter. Fast and responsive or putt, it likes either. Killer.

The 331 w/ CVK (Bike #2) felt the most like a thumper. Tight and with tons of bottom. Actually, I think I could ride this bike the fastest. KLX #1 is in need of some suspension setup and I couldn't feel comfortable on it, but Corey's KLX (#2) felt OK to me and I could ride it comfortably and fast. The first thing I saw Corey do as I pulled in behind him was pull a big long wheelie. LOL The 331 definately gives the KLX a big boost. It is now jetted with Jerry Leighton's (FSW) jetting kit and runs much crisper than any of the dyno jet kit settings we had in it. Jerry jetted that bike just perfectly. Corey noticed better low end and torque than his previous 340 w/ dynojet. He's a happy camper, but of course would love an FCR.

The 300 w/FCR (#3) is mine and I am quite happy with it. The FCR is deceptive. Out on the street or on a simple dirt road and it doesn't seem ALL that different than the CVK, but get it in some whoops or over some little jumps and that all changes. Radically. The front end becomes much lighter and there is a lot less physical effort expended in keeping the front end light or even lofted high up. All the power you need is just a little blip away. Much less shoulder and back work for me which was nice - especially since I hadn't been on the bike for almost 8 weeks! :banghead: The bike is very fun to ride with the FCR on it.

So, there you have it. The FCR owners do not miss the CVK. The CVK owner with FSW jetting does not miss the Dynojet kit or the 340 kit. Everybody's happy.

LT's first words after taking the 331/FCR out for 60 seconds? Well a big smile said it all, but he just said one thing - DADDY LIKE!!!!

Valves? Well, time will tell, but with the bronze seats we are hopeful.

bp

All i have to say is my bike runs better than it ever has, it feels tight and it feels strong, unlike my thumper engine which never felt tight, you just kinda knew it was there and was making more power.

I knew if I held out long enough Bill's crew would try all the mods and find the best ones so none of us needs to experiment! LOL. I'm glad you guys have the bikes back running so awsome. 331 w/FCR.........that sounds about right.....

I read the stuff on the other 331 vs 340 thread about the 340's cylinder. Doesn't surprise me to hear about "the wave" accompanying the smoking. Its been a while since I posted about it, but I knew something was wrong with the thumper kit to be smoking like that.

So, it all worked out better in the end - the bikes are killer now.

Took my 331/FCR out to Stoddard Wells for a nice 97 mile loop with some blue bike buddies last Sunday. No problem keeping up with the 250 or 450. :banghead: Bill's right about my suspension though. It defiantly needs help now with the added power and all. I guess a trip to ESP is in order as soon as I can recover from this last round of up grades.🤣

I have been running a 13 tooth sprocket in front, but now may try going back to the 14, at least for the dez.

DADDY LIKE A LOT! :banghead:🤣🤣