Sign in to follow this  

Does removing snorkel and modifying endcap require rejet

I have removed the intake snorkel and removed the restrictor in the exhaust end cap and got to wondering if that was enough to require a change in jetting. I did just buy a FCR carb so I don't plan on rejetting the stock Mikuni....... but obviously I do not want to do any harm to the motor while I am waiting for the conversion parts to arrive.

I pulled the snorkel out one day and took it for a ride. I could tell it needed rejetting just with that. So I put it back in for now until I get a pipe and do the whole thing.

You are not going to hurt the bike by doing those mods and not rejetting but you will make it run worse most likely. They come lean and you just made it more lean

Oddly enough , the bike actually feels a little more responsive and I definately prefer the throatier sound with the restricter removed. I didn't think this change would be enough to cause any harm but wanted to make sure..... Hopefully , I'll have the FCR mounted in a week or so. Thanks

When I removed it I found that it felt snappier in the midrange, but when you tach it out it feels flat on top. Thats why I said I could tell it needed a rejet. Probably 1 size up on the main would be all it needed.