Sign in to follow this  

Maxxis or IRC

I need new tires and can't find the info to purchase the correct tire for my conditions. My local dealer sells IRC but doesn't seem to have many in stock also I have heard good things about Maxxis. I have an XR250R and ride on trails only. They are loose dirt or leaf covered loose dirt. There are also some spots where I have ridden awhile and the ruts are still loose with 50/50 dirt and like 1'-2' size loose gravel. The terrain is mostly hill climbs and sloped hand cut trails. Help!

I've NEVER in my life seen a tire that will outlast a Maxxiss, and I'm VERY hard on tires.

That said:

Have a question? Use our Search feature (top right) before asking. Our archives are huge and most likely it's already been discussed at length.

I like the Maxxis. The terrain I ride in is so widely diverse, there is nothing that works well for most of it. I used to ride Dunlops, they were ok, but seemed a bit wishy washy. I tried the IRC's once, took those off after cutting the ride short because I thought they sucked so much. Put on a Maxxis IT back in May and have been riding on it ever sice. Im not sure that it will ever wear out, and I am pretty hard on tires. It also seems to hook up well in just about everything that I have thrown at it, including a lot of what you describe. :banghead:

Have a question? Use our Search feature (top right) before asking. Our archives are huge and most likely it's already been discussed at length

Been there done that. Personally I don't like sifting through endless posts looking for info I usually don't find. Also if I do find it there is the time factor. I would rather put a question out there have it answered directly and retrievable on my time just a click away. Maybe there should be an area for new questions for those of you that don't like to see questions asked over and over.

Put on a Maxxis IT back in May and have been riding on it ever sice. Im not sure that it will ever wear out, and I am pretty hard on tires. It also seems to hook up well in just about everything that I have thrown at it, including a lot of what you describe
have never used a better tire than the maxxis IT

Great I'll look at purchasing the Maxxcross IT

Thanks

question for those who like the maxxis i/t. are you using the desert i/t or just the i/t?

i just tried an i/t(non desert type)for the first time and found it to chunk real bad. every center knob chunked off. anybody else have this experience.

i went back to an s-12. i get 100-150 more miles from them because they wear before they chunk.

i went back to an s-12

I'm going to lower my PSI to 10 and try again tomorrow. If I don't like the Maxx Cross IT then I'm going to try the Michelin S-12

Pretty open question. The worst tire I ever had was the Dunlop 739 front, but I'm sure not going to say "Dunlops Suck" just because of that. :banghead:

My experience is that the IRC VE33 is a very good back tire, the VE35 is an okay front, but I haven't liked any of their other tires. Same goes for Maxxis. Everyone seems to really like the IT, but you don't hear much good about their other tires. :banghead:

I was talking to a guy at the track yesterday and he got a Maxxiss IT-RR and said it was awesome. Probably doesnt last quite as long as the regular IT, but he said it hooked up better than anything he has used.

dennis kirk will beat rockymountain by $1. i don't care for dennis kirk much but i generally get my tires from there.

I have one ride on a new set of maxcross ITs and its like riding a different bike compared to the stock dunlop 739s. rocks, loose dirt; mud, whatever, the bike stays planted 100% better than before. I would highly recommend them.

Check out motosport outlet online; their prices are as good as anyones; free shipping over 100, and I got my tires in 2 days!