Sign in to follow this  

Class 2 to class 3

I have a 1993 jeep Cherokee. I need a class 3 hitch so I can have a motorcycle carrier. The class 2 is welded on fro like 10 years ago. What is your advice. Should I grind down the welds and use a bolt on. Or what do you recommend. I will carry a CRF250. Thanks to all. :banghead:

Class II or III will work. Why is it welded? Get a bolt on hitch. A weld can break. Class II is rated for 3500 lbs (350 tounge) and a class III is 5000 with 500 tounge. Either should be fine. Make sure its rated for what the vehicle is rated for. In other words, if its rated to tow 5000, get a class III. Get a good bolt on unit made for your rig.

What did they weld the hitch to?

Both the factory and aftermarket hitch assemblies bolt to provided holes on the Jeeps. Something isn't right here and I wouldn't trust it until someone that knows looks at it.

I suppose to the frame. It was many years ago and I used to tow an inflatable boat. I am going to grind of the welds and buy a bolt on 3 hitch. If any one wants to stop me please yell out.

Thanks. :banghead:

I suppose to the frame. It was many years ago and I used to tow an inflatable boat. I am going to grind of the welds and buy a bolt on 3 hitch. If any one wants to stop me please yell out.

Thanks. :banghead:

Your probably taking the proper course of action.

Drawtite makes a nice unit. I wouldn't take a chance on a cheap one with my bike on back.