Sign in to follow this  

TM 4T service interval Q's

What are the recommended service intervals on TM 4T engines?

My service on the 125 wnet something like this: open throttle WFO, ride it 1,000 miles (or so), replace piston and rings (piston and rings always looked good, but why risk it for $100), repeat.

Do the TM's require much in the way of adjustments, replacements, etc? What fails?

I love 4T power distribution, but I would rather spend my time riding than fixing, adjusting, and paying for lots of finite lifespan parts.

Don't worry, last winter I inspected the piston, cam chain, valve clearance after one year :

- Piston clearance went from 0,06 mm. (clearance when new) to 0,08 mm. (to be replaced at about 0,15 mm.)

- Valve clearance to be adjusted (shims) close to nothing.

- To be really sure I replaced the cam-chain by a new one, although it wasn't really necessary :banghead:

The only problem I ever had was with the one-way clutch of the starter mechanism (located behind the flywheel), which came down to TM-warranty :banghead:

So, in about two months I hope to be ordering my brandnew 2006-530 Enduro

So I've heard the power distribution (of the 450) to be XR650 smooth and linear (which is good to me), sounds like maybe the durability is XR650 like as well.

I was talking to Dan the Canadian distributor yesterday, he says he hasn't sold a valve yet for one of these 4-stroke TM's!

Apparently some of the 05's have cam chain issues but it's fixed now and TM is warrantying any/all of them.

I was talking to Dan the Canadian distributor yesterday, he says he hasn't sold a valve yet for one of these 4-stroke TM's!

Apparently some of the 05's have cam chain issues but it's fixed now and TM is warrantying any/all of them.

Cam

Thanks for jumping in. Sounds like the engine and chassis on the TM 4T is bomb proof, the only weak spot being the ignitions getting baked and ultimately failing when run really hard, but that is true of all 4T's.

Are you ready to sell that green bike and get another TM? What is the CDN price for a 450 nowdays?

I've still got the '02 TM, I have to move it before I have room for another one.. But I'm definitely drooling over the '06s! I like my KX but I have a real soft spot for the TM's and sometimes wonder why the hell I didn't just buy another one of them instead.

Prices are coming down this year apparently by 5%, I'm not sure what a 4-stroke price is but a 125 is $7500 Cdn if I recall correctly.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, the TM's are as bulletproof as they come. I had a CDI failure with mine but I think it wasn't right from the day it was new. The new ignitions are kokusan where mine is ducati.

The only maintenance these bikes need is oil changes, air filters and chassis greasing.

Mine has consumed a bit of oil since the day it was new but I change it often enough that it will never be an issue.

Cam

you thinking about a tm125 again? A mx or en?

the ignbition issues are baking the stator, but again, all 4T's suffer that.

If you hear a price on the 450's (kick start enduro), send me a PM.

No I've come to the sad conclusion that a 125 will never be enough bike for me, so I'll be a 250 guy unless I can drop 40+ lbs. Even then I'll be too big for one but at least it will be more fun.

Give Dan Barker a call, he gave me the price on the 125, his number is 604-853-1333.

Cam

Hey tm_enduro , the 4t is a brilliant bike , very reliable . valves are brilliat , no adjusting like those crf's , 80 hours on my tm 400 mx now and the oly problem ive had is with the exhuast muffler cracking , engine and chasis is really good

only problem is that there is no after market kit for them , but you dont need it anway because its got everything

p.s the tm 450 is a lot wilder that the crf 450 , real electric type power

deos any one know if the valve shims that are used in a TM 4-stroke are the same as the valve shims used in other motoers like a yamaha for instance?you would think i would know this but nobody at the distribution level seems ever willing to provide this info.dan. :banghead:

It's definitely not the same as used in a Yamaha/Kawasaki.

I got some of those shims from the Dutch importer and even those were about 0,15 mm. to large in diameter :banghead:

After about a month or five I received the correct types from him. He was sure to have sent the right types, so when you order shims also specify the outside diameter :banghead:

deos any one know if the valve shims that are used in a TM 4-stroke are the same as the valve shims used in other motoers like a yamaha for instance?you would think i would know this but nobody at the distribution level seems ever willing to provide this info.dan. :banghead:

Have you ever sold any?