Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel bearing ? '02 WR

I got the MSR sealed wheel bearing replacement kit. My rotor side bearing and seal was toast. The other side looked new--but there was no seal. Am I reading the manual correctly in that there is no right side bearing seal and the odo cover takes its place?

I put in both the MSR sealed bearings and a new seal on the left side with gobs of BelRay waterproof grease inside and out--after cleaning everything up of course--and after the bearings were seated by carefully pounding on an appropriate socket on the outer ring--I could barely turn them by my finger (grease coated) but when I finally mounted the wheel--SWEET true turning was once again!!!! Oh--no torch was necessary, but the odo side went in a lot harder than the other side--but still no heat was necessary.

I can't believe I forgot to check and grease my front bearings! If you have not done yours--do it now--they are likely in need of replacement if you haven't! Get the MSR kit--$25.00 at the dealer--likely cheaper mail order.

There is a good "how-to" on this topic--do the search if you need the photos on "how-to".

BTW--my brake side bearing was brown, rusty and crusty, and so was the seal--pressure washer a imagine.

And its not even winter yet. You got an early jump on maintanance.I don"t usually get to this stuff until after the holidays. It takes about 4 months to actually go through the bikes for me. I don"t know what else I"d do all winter. :banghead:

I got the MSR sealed wheel bearing replacement kit. My rotor side bearing and seal was toast. The other side looked new--but there was no seal. Am I reading the manual correctly in that there is no right side bearing seal and the odo cover takes its place?

I put in both the MSR sealed bearings and a new seal on the left side with gobs of BelRay waterproof grease inside and out--after cleaning everything up of course--and after the bearings were seated by carefully pounding on an appropriate socket on the outer ring--I could barely turn them by my finger (grease coated) but when I finally mounted the wheel--SWEET true turning was once again!!!! Oh--no torch was necessary, but the odo side went in a lot harder than the other side--but still no heat was necessary.

I can't believe I forgot to check and grease my front bearings! If you have not done yours--do it now--they are likely in need of replacement if you haven't! Get the MSR kit--$25.00 at the dealer--likely cheaper mail order.

There is a good "how-to" on this topic--do the search if you need the photos on "how-to".

BTW--my brake side bearing was brown, rusty and crusty, and so was the seal--pressure washer a imagine.

For some reason, rotor side front wheel bearings prematurely wear out very quickly on the YZ/WR's. Mine got spanked after only about 4 months. I also purchased the Moose front wheel bearing kit, and they are still perfect 3 years later. The key to long bearing life (or any other greased component) is using a full synthetic grease. I also add a small amount of antisieze to the grease. This method makes an impervious mixture against water.

You bought a MSR kit? why not just purchase 2 bulk bearings. They are about $7 each

6904s is what you need. LIke you said grease them even if you have to pop the rubber cover on the bearings.

You bought a MSR kit? why not just purchase 2 bulk bearings. They are about $7 each

6904s is what you need. LIke you said grease them even if you have to pop the rubber cover on the bearings.

Ok where do you buy these bulk bearings? Not being a smart ass just can't find good places. Thanks. :banghead:

Because the MOOSE kit comes with 2 double sealed bearings, AND 2 new seals, and costs about $16

I wish I had known about the Moose kit--likely the same as the MSR kit too--but I gotta give the dealer a little business now and then--or they won't let me work on my bike behind the shop with their tools!

Are you saying to pop the rubber seal off a sealed bearing and grease it? Seems like that would ruin the seal on the sealed bearing.

If I get ambitious I am going to grease the rear wheel beairngs this week when I change the tire.

You know--I thought my steering damper wasn't working quite right--but it was my front wheel flopping around that gave me that unsure steering feeling. This reminds me I need to change damper oil too and take out the biological tranny oil and put some new syn back in there.

I wish I had known about the Moose kit--likely the same as the MSR kit too--but I gotta give the dealer a little business now and then--or they won't let me work on my bike behind the shop with their tools!

Are you saying to pop the rubber seal off a sealed bearing and grease it? Seems like that would ruin the seal on the sealed bearing.

If I get ambitious I am going to grease the rear wheel beairngs this week when I change the tire.

You know--I thought my steering damper wasn't working quite right--but it was my front wheel flopping around that gave me that unsure steering feeling. This reminds me I need to change damper oil too and take out the biological tranny oil and put some new syn back in there.

I re-grease double sealed bearing all the time. I use a thin hobby knife to pop the seal out without damaging it. Wad a little synthetic grease in there, press the seal back in, and off you go. I generally don't add antisieze to sealed bearings, as they are well protected from water. I mainly use the antisieze for suspension linkage components, the rear brake pedal pivot, and so on...

Rich.

Polar Bus, where did you get the Moose bearing kit for $16?