Sign in to follow this  

How to wheelie

I realy whant to learn how to wheelie on a dirtbike. I can wheelie for ever on my BMX bike and my Mountainbike. I can ride a unicycle too. I have realy good balance but the footbreak on the dirt bike kinda scares me because I am not real comfortable with it.

I have done a few by poping the clutch. I can get it up and everything but I adomatically bring it down because I dont want to beak anything.

So my questions are

1. Do you realy have to use the clutch when you are wheelieing or only getting it up? If so, when?

2. What is a good gear to do it in? It seems like 3rd would be good...

3. If the bike does go over and land on the back, will it crach the pipe or anything? It seems like it would.

I know "how" to wheelie on a bike, just not on a dirtbike. The same rues apply right?

By the way, this is on a TTR 125l

Also, about stopies... It seems like when ever I try it, the front tire just locks up. There is no in between unless I am realy going fast.

Is that the key? Goeing somewhat fast then slowly applieing the breaks. I am pretty good at this on my bikes as well, but its soo light I can just through it around pretty easy.

I can get some good pics of me wheelieing on my bike if you want.

Your the secon person within two weeks to ask this. no you do not absolutley have to use the clutch. I'm going to have my sister take some pics of me riding wheelies in a few.

Btw I read your full post this time. 2 nd or 3rd is a good gear. I ride them in all gears though :banghead:

If you want to do a stoppie you need to transfer your weight forward to the front wheel to keep it from locking up. Most of the time you see the good guys slowly start grabbing the brake while they lean towards the handlebars until it lifts.

Just slide your butt up on the tank and start sqeezing the brake harder and harder until it comes up.

What happens next is up to you. :applause:

As for the wheelie, you don't have to use the clutch but its a lot easier that way on an underpowered bike. It will come up with a good bounce on the handlebars with no clutch, but I found it easier to give a medium bounce and tug on the bars and pop a little clutch. That seemed easiest on the bike.

Of course, the ttr is my wifes bike and I haven't ridden it a whole lot. Not to mention she gets pissed when she sees me try to wheelie it. :banghead:

1]i never use the clutch except when i shift

2]2nd and 3rd is what i use

3]nope i just have a big crack in my rear fender form when i first got it and bout fliped it wheelied

for stoppies i just get hard on the gas and slam on the front brake...but if its wet please be smart enought not to do that...on clay or hard packed dirt its prety simple...i started off doin it down hill so i got the feel of it then i did it all over...there a blast...i wish i could do them non stop...too bad it has to stop tho...your first few times be ready to go over the bars tho...just as a precoution :banghead:

have a blast...good luck....and dont kill anyone or your self :applause:🤣

Just slide your butt up on the tank and start sqeezing the brake harder and harder until it comes up.

What happens next is up to you.🤣

but dont get too far up on the tank or that cap gets in the way and.....youll be sayin :banghead:🤣:applause: and layin on the ground

LOL.

Thanks. Ya, as for the stoppies I was doing all of that, just not going that fast. I will try it this weakend.

As for this being posted before... sorry about that. I just regitered here. I will use the search next time before posting.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to try all of that. I just addjusted my back break so it engages a little quicker. Before I coud not get my toe down farenough with my boot on. Because when I adjust it I always have shoes on. So today I put my boots on and tried it. So I am set.

I cant wait to go try to wheelie angain. And I am glad you dont have to use the clutch, because I am not to good at that. I dont know when to use it and when not to.

And I am glad you dont have to use the clutch, because I am not to good at that. I dont know when to use it and when not to.
i wind it out good before i shift or itll run outa power...i dont shift very often doin wheelies...usually do my 2nd gear ones :banghead: i think there the most fun...dont give up...you most likely wont do your first few perfect. :applause:

Okay.........the only thing I can tell you about wheelies is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. That is the only thing you can do. I had an XR100 and could pop my wheel up in 3rd and sing it to 5th. When I started I couldnt hardly do one in 2nd gear. Now Ive got an XR250 and I bored it out. When I first got it I couldnt do wheelies in 3rd. Now i can pop her up in 3rd or 4th and top it out around 75 mph before it falls to the ground on the road. Practice is all that you can do. Stoppies on the other hand are not my business. Anyone could tell me how to do a stoppie.

So would standing up be better than sitting down? On a bike I prefer sitting down. I think I would like that better on a dirtbike too. Because its easier to hit the break.

So would standing up be better than sitting down? On a bike I prefer sitting down. I think I would like that better on a dirtbike too. Because its easier to hit the break.

Its the riders preference.I do both. When I learn how to work this stupid windows movie maker ill get a vid of me wheelying.

Start,all programs, accesories, and Windows Movie Maker. Can't figure this d@mn tihng out :banghead:

the bad thing about doing wheelies in faster gears is that if you go too far back and fall off, there is a good chance you can break your leg. heard of a lot of guys doing it. one way to practice is to start off in 1st or 2nd and pull up the front and put your feet on the ground and let your feet slide. it will helps you with vertical balance, bad is that you don't have the rear brake to use for bails. i had a ttr225 and i could wheelie it until the engine starved of no fuel with my feet down. try it and then when you get good try putting your feet up.

Btw I read your full post this time. 2 nd or 3rd is a good gear. I ride them in all gears though🤣

:banghead: show off!! 🤣

yamaha356 <<< "I like, rode these kewl wheelies this weekend man and *puff, puff, give* my sister taped it and now I'm *puff, puff, give* making into like, a movie or somethin'. It's like, really bitchin'! Hey! Where you goin' with my sh!t, b!tch?"

Kiss my ass! I'll need a crane, wheelie rails, a HEMSI squad and a hit of acid to wheelie my 225 🤣

Ride on Evil :applause:🤣

:banghead: show off!! 🤣

yamaha356 <<< "I like, rode these kewl wheelies this weekend man and *puff, puff, give* my sister taped it and now I'm *puff, puff, give* making into like, a movie or somethin'. It's like, really bitchin'! Hey! Where you goin' with my sh!t, b!tch?"

Kiss my ass! I'll need a crane, wheelie rails, a HEMSI squad and a hit of acid to wheelie my 225 🤣

Ride on Evil :applause:🤣

hahaha thats good. just what i need in the morning 🤣🤣

the bad thing about doing wheelies in faster gears is that if you go too far back and fall off, there is a good chance you can break your leg. heard of a lot of guys doing it. one way to practice is to start off in 1st or 2nd and pull up the front and put your feet on the ground and let your feet slide. it will helps you with vertical balance, bad is that you don't have the rear brake to use for bails. i had a ttr225 and i could wheelie it until the engine starved of no fuel with my feet down. try it and then when you get good try putting your feet up.

I've flipped my 125 PLENTY of times and haven't broken my leg YET... :banghead:

Yes I have had some bad road rash, scrapes, and baaad cuts. I'm still riding em though :applause:

A key (if you want to stay healthy and not bend your bike) skill that hasn't been mentioned is to teach yourself to instinctively use the back brake. As long as its adjusted and working; you will never flip over doing a wheelie if you use it.

Thats how the experts do the long balance wheelies; they use coordinated throttle and rear brake. Its also needed if you want to do fender grinds etc where you actually goe over past vertical.

I am amazed when we go to a public area and you see riders pull a wheelie and if it gets to high they just put their feet down and bail. The bike either flips (doing a lot of damage) or falls off to the side ( not as much but still not good).

I used to enjoy watch Doug DeMokos wheelie an entire MX track, up and over a car at the finish. I still have a book by him from the '80s called "Wheelieing with the King"

I have been working with my son on his new YZ85 (which is very wheelie prone compared to his TT-R125) to learn to use the rear brake/clutch to stop it vs flailing with his feet on the ground.

A good way to teach yourself this is to pop the bike up and put some rear brake in (it does not take much; don't panic stab it or the front will come down real fast!).