Sign in to follow this  

Experience with non-E start WR's

Is there any appreciable difference in stating early WR's as opposed to early YZ's? I'm looking for primo 01 or 02 WR if my 15yr old can start it. Also is the 03 cam conversion more complex?

If you get an earlier wr I would replace the stock tank and seat with a an 01-02 yzf seat. did it with my bike and it feels a thousand times better

If you want it to be easy to start then definately get the Autodecompression cam. I am 21 and 165 pounds and can't start it without it on the stand. My bike doesn't have the auto decompression yet, but I am getting it very soon!

For convienance autodecompression is the way to go. As for the yz tank and seat I have mixed feelings. I have both setups and to tell you the truth I like the wr seat and tank better. The transistion from seat to tank to shroud feels awkward to me. With the narrower tank it feels as if the tank shrouds jut out to quickly to accomadate the wider radiator. Maby if my legs were shorter this would"nt be an issue. :banghead:

Is there any appreciable difference in stating early WR's as opposed to early YZ's? I'm looking for primo 01 or 02 WR if my 15yr old can start it. Also is the 03 cam conversion more complex?

I have done the decompressor mod on my '02, and in hindsight, it's a great convienent mod, but NOT absolutely necessary unless you plan on racing. What is more frustrating to me than a decompressor cam, is the long WR/YZ kick pedal. If you are under say 5'10", the long kick pedal makes it extremely difficult to get on top of the kickstart lever while sitting on the seat.. WR's are way easier than YZ's, as you can drop the kickstand, and stand right on the left footpeg and kick away! Obviously if your in sand you can't use the kickstand. If you have only basic engine knowledge, swapping to the decompressor cam might be a little too challenging to try, and better off left to a dealer, or a buddy who has better engine experience.

Rich

You have got to go Auto Decompression!!!-

If you want your kid to enjoy it...

It Absolutely shocked me when I did it. That little 250 pissed me off so many times before I finally did it..The 250 is picky with tuning and altitude... Now my girlfriend can start it, it's now easier than the TTR 125 she rides.

Adam

If you kid is a around 5'9" and taller and is fairly strong then the auto decomp really isn't necessary. If the bike is jetted fairly well and the valves are in spec the YZ/WR 250fs are a 1-3 kick bike. As long as your boy can get the starting procedure down by heart (like being able to do it in his sleep) then he should be fine!! This muther does have a VERY high comperession piston and takes alot of effort to kick without the auto decomp. I think the money speant on the auto decomp cam would be better speant on hot cams but thats just my opinion. :banghead: