Sign in to follow this  

97 dr650 factory pro jet kit

I just recently got a Factory Pro jet kit for my 97 DR650, this after using a Dynojet jet kit. The kit includes a larger pilot jet of 45 as compared to the stock 42.5, also has main jets 142.5, 145, and 147.5. Also in the kit is a lighter spring for quicker slide movement and also a titanium needle(oooohh). Anyway, i've been working on getting it dialed for the past couple of days and i can't seem to have it all. meaning, i can have smooth and strong off idle response or i can have ripping midrange and up. I've followed the tuning instructions which don't give any settings but rather the help to tune to your bike. I cut my airbox top open and have removed the backfire screen as far as mods go and i have the stock exhaust on. So, my settings are 45 pilot, needle in the middle position, main is a dynojet 160(which is mikuni 150 equivalent). With this setup, my fuel mix screw is all the way in and i've been playing with the float level to try and get my mixture screw turned out from bottomed. I have a good idle and the performance off idle is pretty decent, clean. If i raise the needle in the clip so that it is all the way up, it rips up through the middle/top at the expense of fouling the plugs down low. I'm thinking of trying the stock pilot again to try and clear up the low end while still having the mid/top rip and getting some adjustment back on the fuel mix screw. As it is, my float level is a mm lower than stock to try and clean up the bottom but it just doesn't seem to work the way i want.

Let me know if you see anything that pops out so i can try and have an improvement everywhere in the rpm range as opposed to picking and choosing what works well.

Thanks

why did you take the dynojet kit out?

ive been down that exact same rode with factory products.thats why i dont use them.

the only thing that jumps out at me is 150 mikuni and 160 dj jets are not the same.

i know what that chart says but in actual a/f ratio readings a 150 mikuni and 150 dj jets are so close they are interchangeable.

do you have the air box modified?sounds to me like you are trying to cover up a lean main jet by raising the needle.

The dynojet kit was ok, it gave a nice hit up top, but that was it. from what i've read, the factory pro kit was supposed to add to the bottom and middle as well.

I did mod the top of the airbox.

I am running the dynojet 160 main right now with the stock exhaust but i may switch back to the Yoshi exhaust again(a lot more power with it). I'll pull out the dynojet 170 and give it a shot with the slipon and see if i gain some top end steam.

The needle in the factory pro kit has a very similar profile to the stock needle, only it is longer overall. I can set it at a position that makes it equal to the stock needle which is a waste of time to me.

Thanks for the input.