Sign in to follow this  

O ring or not?

I heard that getting a non o ring chain is better for racing then a o ring chain. Is this true? I'm sponsored by Renthal so I can get there chains for dirt cheap. Also what is there best chain for racing motocross that Renthal has, Iv never used there chains before?

Hmmm...Well I primarily race hare scrambles so I went with an o-ring. And the fact that I pay retail prices means I need parts that are going to live a long life. Did I lose any power or speed from it? Nope. But my question to you is: How is someone that is sponsored by Renthal completely blind to their product lines? I mean for a company to sponsor you, you must know something about them? Or at least have a contact number for a rep that can get you the right chain for dirt cheap. :applause::banghead:

O-ring chains do rob a little horsepower. Just feel how stiff they are. I don't think its much, though. If I was doing a short race I would probably use a non-o-ring. I've used both for off-road. I have found out that and o-ring chain really doesn't need lube. It's sealed in already. I don't suppose lubing it would be a bad idea, I just don't bother anymore. When I used a non-o-ring I took it off after every ride, cleaned it in solvent, then soaked in 90w. Seemed to last just fine, but it was a lot of work.

Look at the pro MX bikes, non are running O-ring chains. They sap HP from your ride. Off road racers though, most all of them run them. For durabillity, they retain lube better and have a better chance of lasting through a long dirty race.

If you are racing MX use a non o-ring.

Where is the lube "sealed" in on an o ring chain?

under the o-rings