Sign in to follow this  

DRZ help needed in Durango

Something went horribly wrong today --

I was riding the DRZ toward Mancos to hit up the Aspen Trail when all of a sudden, the engine went out and forced me to pull over just after going about 60 mph on Hwy 160. I was about 17 miles from home...

The engine was still making noise almost like it was running but it was a 'less-noisy' sound as if only part of the engine was still running. I dont know -- its hard to explain. Nevertheless, the bike wouldn't start after that.

Im scared that the cam tensioner may have gone or something worse.

(I still have the stock CCT).

After the bike cooled down, I checked the radiators for coolant...I did not see any coolant visible inside. Would the engine have killed itself if it got too hot?

What can I do (as a layman) to inspect for horrific engine damage?

Please help....thanks

check the oil level,smell, condition. if it looks OK, try to start bike just for a few seconds. If it starts OK, it probably leaked all the coolant out, or blew a head gasket and sucked all the coolant out,etc... if it got too hot it would have started bogging down and been knocking pretty hard and would not accel. Since it kinda quit gently, it probably blew a head gasket, pressurizing the coolant out thru the overflow, and the low compression kept it from running anymore. Hopefully that's it, because a new head gasket is all it gonna take. You probably should pull the cylinder off and check thering lands to see if the piston got too hot. If it did, it would have smeared the alum down the side of the piston. How far are you from Denver or Colorado Springs?

Im in Durango (about 6 hours SW of Denver/Springs). Im heading out to Denver this next weekend for a wedding and could certainly trailer the bike out if you think someone could help me.

Thanks.

check the oil level,smell, condition. if it looks OK, try to start bike just for a few seconds. If it starts OK, it probably leaked all the coolant out, or blew a head gasket and sucked all the coolant out,etc... if it got too hot it would have started bogging down and been knocking pretty hard and would not accel. Since it kinda quit gently, it probably blew a head gasket, pressurizing the coolant out thru the overflow, and the low compression kept it from running anymore. Hopefully that's it, because a new head gasket is all it gonna take. You probably should pull the cylinder off and check thering lands to see if the piston got too hot. If it did, it would have smeared the alum down the side of the piston. How far are you from Denver or Colorado Springs?

So, do you think I should add more coolant and then restart? the oil level looked okay -- it was a bit bubbly though.

had this bike in my presence today.

tragedy averted. :banghead:

i will let "the fist" tell everyone what was up if he wants to.

everyone will be happy to know there was not a "mechanical failure".maybe a "mechanic failure",but thats all. :banghead: