Sign in to follow this  

Besides Magura - Where can

Does anyone know where you can purchase mineral oil that can be used in a Magura clutch? ( besides from Magura )

I'm still fumbling with this clutch I got off e-bay. The clutch pull is no better than my stock cable & I swear I can here air escaping from the slave cylinder when I actuate the lever.

I'm hoping that the air sound is normal & it just needs a good bleeding. Otherwise - I got ripped.

Thanks in advance... :banghead:

I think what your hearing is air escaping for the rubber boot. collapse the boot and hold it there, squeeze the lever and see if the sound stops.

You can get the mineral oil at any bicycle shop.

I have one on my 06 and love it, I also extended the actuating arm by 9mm, the pull is so light.

I think what your hearing is air escaping for the rubber boot. collapse the boot and hold it there, squeeze the lever and see if the sound stops.

You can get the mineral oil at any bicycle shop.

I have one on my 06 and love it, I also extended the actuating arm by 9mm, the pull is so light.

I don't have a rubber boot on mine. ( maybe an older version )

Anyway - I did the old soapy water trick & found that the air is coming from the silver cap on the end of the slave cylinder. :banghead:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/max348/magura1.jpg

Seeing how I have no manual, does anyone know if this can be removed without messing anything up? I'm thinking of removing it & trying some teflon tape on the threads... OR - Is it possible, that air is supposed to come from there? :applause:

I used 5wt fork oil and it works great.

Thanks... I ended up scoring some mineral oil at the local Wallgreens pharmacy so didn't need the fork oil.

I installed the clutch & bled all the air out of the line. ( went surprisingly fast )

I still however - have air escaping from the silver cap on the slave cylinder. I generously applied teflon tape to the threads before reassembly but continue to have air escaping. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't normal. :banghead: Can anyone verify this?

Also worth mentioning, or asking anyway - How much better should the " clutch pull " be with the Magura vrs the OEM? I still do not notice any substantial difference between the two. I'm guessing though, that I probably have a malfunctioning unit. :applause:

All aviation engines leave the factory with straight mineral oil in them. There is a company called Aeroshell that might make the oil you are looking for. I am not suggesting that it is right, just passing along info on mineral oil in general. Check your local airport, and ask for the maint. dept for piston aircraft.

I still however - have air escaping from the silver cap on the slave cylinder. I generously applied teflon tape to the threads before reassembly but continue to have air escaping. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't normal. :banghead: Can anyone verify this?

It's normal to hear air escaping. If you read the manual that came with the unit you'll see where they answer the question about that and say it's normal.

It's normal to hear air escaping. If you read the manual that came with the unit you'll see where they answer the question about that and say it's normal.

Being that I purchased it USED from some hack on e-bay I never received a manual.

Thank you though, for verifying the air / cap deal...

What about your clutch pull? Did you notice this night & day super great fantastic difference, or was it just a little better?

I also noticed that the clutch arm itself only moves about half the distance of when the OEM cable is installed. Do you know or did the manual give any info regarding this? It almost seems that there is no way the clutch would be able to operate properly with so little movement? :banghead:

I don't know anyone with the same clutch/bike set-up so any help & or advice is greatly appreciated. :banghead: