Going to be buying a 06 WR450

I am just about decided on this bike. It is that or the CRF 450. I am not sure. Any one offer some advice. I am moving up form a DR350 that I bought new in 1993. I have done every mod to it and feel that any bike to replace it is a downgrade.

However I have to face the fact that my bike is old and wearing out. So on to a new one.

What are your comments on this bike?

I sat on one and found the seat very stiff. I would definitly replace that.

What else is there?

The WR is an awesome bike, but if you think your DR is perfect, you may find the WR to be a bit stiff, powerful and demanding to ride. You might be happier with an XR400.

If you're interested in going faster, the WR will help you out immensely.

I had a DR350 back in '94 and as I remember, when you pushed it hard you could feel the frame flexing and the bike just didn't want to be ridden harder. The WR will not do this, it loves to be pushed hard and works better the faster you go.

My point is that the WR has a lot more performance, but it is not as well suited to all day cruising and comfort.

Exactly what type of riding do you plan on doing? Have your abilities changed or gotten to the point that you are ready to race or are you going to continue to ride it much the same as the DR? Are you dualsporting?

It sounds like you've been happy with the DR but at the same time you were modding it to the max.

Now you've decided to step up to a much more performance oriented bike but already some of the harder edges are giving you issues.

Maybe you should find a generous "friend" who would let you ride a WR450F around a bit before you go plunk down your wad. They aren't cheap and unless you want to change bikes like a person changes their underwear.....it could help you make a better decision for yourself.

My point is there are usually compromises made somewhere in owning a bike, a cutting edge off road weapon isn't going to be as comfortable as a dual sporter on the pavement. A dual sporter isn't going to hold a candle to a WR450 in tough off road situations.

I have ridden all over Western Washington, from tight trails full of off camber roots(my favorite) to the wide sweeping trails of Capitol Forest.

Any one want to come down to SW Washington and ride the Bradley Trails, I am always looking for some one to ride with.

As for my abilities? I am 30, have been riding since i was 3.

Why i say its a downgrade from the DR to any other bike, is that I have been riding it so long, its comfortable. I know how to get it up hill climbs, I know how to hit an off camber rootwad with out putting me on the ground. I know when I need to wheelie over something I can. Its more of a security thing I guess. I know its balance point. I can ride wheelies forever on it.

All I am asking is if any one has ridden both the CRF450X and the WR450? What were there thoughts on them? I have been riding around on a friends 05' YZ450 and it feels very simular to the WR I sat on.

Either way one of those bikes will be in my garage by this winter.

I lived in Seattle for a couple of years, up on Alki Beach, I rode down at Thurston OHV park and up in the trails in 1996-98. I heard they closed the mx track. I really enjoyed the logging trails up there. I also rode over around Bremerton and Port Angeles.

I owned an 03 WR450, great bike, motor was plenty fast unplugged. Very reliable, I felt it was a bit heavy but then again it is an electric start off road bike. I am mainly into MX so I ended up selling it. I've been a Yamaha guy all my life.....most likely always will be.

I have ridden a '05 CRF450 but no X model. The motor accelerated more sluggishly than the Yamaha, It still had plenty of power, just no big hit, the handling/suspension was very good for a big bike.

What dealerships are in your local vicinity? What sort of relationship do you have with your local dealer? I would factor in those issues before making a decision.

All in all, I think the Yamaha is the better bike overall. I would think that everyone in this forum would steer you the same way. Over in the CRF450X forum you would get the opposite answer.

Just got an '06 WR myself. I really like the bike. Can't wait to get the pipe on it though. Did all the freebie mods, and it really woke up.

The first ride I took it on was a 75 mile desert/ mountain ride, really rocky, but the bike was great. It wants to haul A** and doesn't seem as happy if your not. I do have to say the seat is brutal though. I also found this bike a little easier to "flick" around than the earlier WR's I have ridden. I am 32 y/o, 205 lbs and 6'3" and the bike fits well. Suspension was good right from the start, I may soften up the front end a little.

Overall, a great bike, I do miss the snappy light weight of my old KX 500, but thats a whole different ride.

This is one well done Thumper. Yamaha did a great job. The Trailtech type computer is awesome too.

Have heard some mechanical issues about the CRF, but I don't like to bash other brands, they're all so equal anymore, unless you are an all out expert veteran, you'd probably be happy with any of the new 450's. I just went with Yamaha due to reliability and I've ridden a 426 for a while and was happy with it.

Good luck!

I am just about decided on this bike. It is that or the CRF 450. I am not sure. Any one offer some advice. I am moving up form a DR350 that I bought new in 1993. I have done every mod to it and feel that any bike to replace it is a downgrade.

However I have to face the fact that my bike is old and wearing out. So on to a new one.

What are your comments on this bike?

I sat on one and found the seat very stiff. I would definitly replace that.

What else is there?

I think we're twins. I'm in the same boat as you looking at the same bikes. Only I have been out of riding for a few years and am concerned with how well either of these bikes will do in sand. I want to be able to plate it and run it down the road to a trail at a decent rate of speed at a decent rpm but at the same time be light enough to float on top of some sand dunes. I heard the WR's are great for dual sporting that lean more to the offroad and the hondas don't really dual sport...my cousin has the 250 honda and his did great on the dunes and in scrambles but he doesn't dual sport like i would want to...I guess i'll just keep watching this thread like you :banghead:

I also want to plate mine. But living in Washington state sucks so I have to get my brother to title it in oregon so i can plate it and then transfer the title back to me.

NOMADK - All those places are great to ride. Every year they have an enduro in Bremerton that I have been riding since I was a 12. It is usualy 80 miles, when I was 17 or 18 it was there 25th aniversary and they made it 160. I did the whole thing on an XR 350. Talk about brutal, i dont think i could walk for a couple days after that.

I am really looking forward to the WR with its nice suspension. I wiegh in at 250 pounds. So I need something that doesnt bottom out on big bumps. (DR350) lol.

My buddies 426 is a fun ride, but very bulky. Another friend bought the 250f and I like it as well, just under powered for my taste.