Sign in to follow this  

2005 CRF450 Shock spring...

I seem to have a shock spring dilemma here.

I currently weigh 215 in street clothes (riding Vet Int MX ). I've got .49's in the front, stock spring in the rear. Last week I checked my sag after weighing myself at 215 in street clothes. With a full tank of gas and standing on the pegs (still in street clothes), my race sag was 104mm and my free sag 42mm.

Now, I know that factory springs can be off a bit in rate but is that really all that common? I've been advised to go to a 5.7kg/mm (I'd actually like to try the titanium spring) in the rear given my weight. However, it seems that the stocker is too stiff as is. I can't find a local shop that can test spring rates and don't want to order a new one without knowing what the heck is going on with the current spring.

I posted this problem in the CRF450 forum last week and got good advice from ShawnMC. He suggested that a shock bearing may be toast, hence throwing off the free sag setting. After disassembling things, that doesn't seem to be the case. Any suggestions? Should I just go for a new 5.7 and at least that way I know what I'm dealing with?

I think I'm out of options but wanted to give this problem one last try. Thanks in advance. :banghead:

I weigh 225 in street clothes, I have my suspension done by factory suspension, I have .49 in the front and a 5.9 in the rear, along with their valving, works great for me, I run my rear sag at 100mm, I have an 2004 crf 450, and just bought a 2005 crf 450, going with the same in the 05, It works great for me, I am a junior 30 plus vet rider, Hope this helps!

if you end up getting new springs and want to unload your stock ones - PM me

I am looking to stiffen up my 250X and the stock 450 springs should do the trick