Sign in to follow this  

CRF 70 Stiff shifting

I bought my son a 05 crf70 and have a few bitches about it.

This bike is supposed to be for a kid, yet as an adult, i have to use a lot of pressure to shift the dam thing.

My poor kid cant do it. i just put him in a gear and leave it there.

Is every one else with one have a hard time shifting?

Also it has already fouled two plugs. Is this common with them?

fouled plugs?? thats strange, you high altitude?

ajust the clutch so it engages less before shifting, than will help.

Yeah, something's not right on that bike. A stock CRF70 should shift with little effort, and if you manage to foul a plug... I'm impressed! I've not been able to do it, even getting the jetting WAY off.

on my bike the shifting was stiff but it gets much easier after its been used for a few hours!

All of the Honda auto's I have owned are a tad long in shifter throw. Not so much hard to shift, but never exactly easy. I agree that adjusting the clutch action should help a bit, by taking the load off the tranny enough to get the shift lever to go.

My 2005 CRF70 has a problem - sometimes shifting from first it jumps to third gear. Anyone else have that problem? Any fixes?

We are just above sea level maybe 300 feet.

I am begging to hate this bike. My poor son loves to ride it, but it wont idle until its real hot. Even with the choke on cold it wont idle. I turn the idle scew up when its cold, but as the bike gets warm the idle picks way up and I have to turn it back down.

No wonder the dealer let it go for 1200 bucks.

sounds like it may need some maintnence.

set the valves, .003"

tear down the carb completley and spray with carbcleaner and blow it out with aircompressor

change oil

once you set the clutch properly it wont have problems idling!

I have an 02 xr 70 and it shifts super hard. I cant figure it out i replaced the shifting rod and checked everything it seemed to be ok. How should i adjust it so it isn't so stiff. :banghead:

I already have looked at the vavles. What pisses me off is this bike is only a month old. He hasent even ran a whole tank of gas through it yet.

Take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. If I had bought something and it was not right I would expect the dealership to be the ones making the adjustments.

the exact same thing happened to me on my 2000 xr70. it wouldnt idle but would run with the choke on and wouldnt idle or run at all with the choke off and i would foul plugs. what was wrong with it was the valves were off and the pilot jet was clogged. good luck

I agree maybe jet clogged. Most important is dealer should fix it. Have you even asked them? As for shifting, I have a 70 for my girl and these auto trans deals the shifter is a little hard and holds the trans in neutral kinda then returns to postion when let off. I mean, when your shift to second it goes up and when you let off it comes back down. Not the easiest to shift, especially with a little foot. Now my son and experienced rider, can get on the 70 and ride the daylights out of it.

It should run smooth and easy. Choke is off I assume. Take it to dealer. These bikes purr when right and are a little hard to shift IMO. But after getting used to it no big deal for a semi auto