Sign in to follow this  

rubber mounts

About a month ago, went down pretty hard on a tripple. Bike did a few cart wheels. Only damage, luckly, was the bar clamps were bent, the stem/bolt that goes through the upper tripple clamp. I threw them away and bought a new pair, this time with a solid piece that goes over the top of the bars.

Today at the track, I got sideways over a double and bailed off the bike, the bike and I slamed into the face of the landing pretty hard, hurting my right ankle really bad, just jammed it luckly. Well once again I bent the bolts that go throught the upper tripple clamp and into the bar clamps, luckly on these clamps I can just replace the bolts.

My question is, are you suppose to snug tight the bolts through the rubber mounts or are you suppose to keep them only some what tight?

Appreciate the help.

P.S. I can crash, flip the bike, bend two bar clamps and my handle bars are still straight. Gotta love those Flexx Bars, they just dont give up!!!

You can try different torques, lighter will flex more and not bend the bolts as easy. But with flex bars you may not want the extra flex of a lightly torqued bar mount bolt. The best advice I can give is stay on the bike, and carry some extra bolts just incase. I have two in my tool box, and I even carry the stock 7/8 mounts just incase some poor sap at the track needs them.

PS, my 80 dollar Pro tapers have been through so many crashes and bar mount bolts I lost count a few years ago, they have been on 3 different bikes. You pay for the feel with flex bars, I would like to try them, see how they "feel" but I think the price is way too much.

Hey Cj-S4 thanks for the advice. Yea, when I get a chance to go out and buy some new bolts im gonna get a few extra.

I know the price tag on the flexx bars is a little steep but I guarantee you that if you ask anyone with them they will say that it is well worth it. It could be the "feel" that makes them a little expensive but I also believe that its the quality and the strength of them. Ive actually bent pro tapers before... (man, i just realized i crash alot!) But if you do see an opportunity to ride with flexx bars, dont let it pass you by.