KLX300 Trail riding delima

Alright so your riding down a nice trail, going up hill and you spot a log. It's a nice size log - but not one you can easially wheelie over since your going up hill and the terrain is loose small rocks about the the size of a golf ball up to the size of a baseball. (It's about as high from the ground to the bottom of your shroud, or check out hte picture for the helmet photo)

Here is the log next to a Medium size helmet....

d05d.jpg?phTzLQDBTgY53RZk

On the opposite side going down the hill, I have been able to make a ramp using logs/ticks and some rocks to coast into it - and drop the front end. ( dont want to use the throttle too much which would move the logs out of the way for the next time I come up to it)

8ba9.jpg?phTzLQDBV.i6ZHrT

Now, besides using a chainsaw because that would be the logic to eliminiating the trouble of this log, or picking an alternate route around the log which isn't possible since both sides are solid rock...if you came up to this what would you try? Wheelie? or build another ramp using logs?

-Craig

Craig, that looks like a really nice trail. If I lived fairly close to the trail and rode it all the time, I may be inclined to build a more permanent type of jump on the log. This would add a fun spot on the trail because you know there is a jump comming up!! Put the jumps towards right hand side and leave the left side natural so you can practice wheeling over the log, then you have a choice of what you want to do. Then it gives a person you are riding with a choice also, wheely over the log or go over the ramp. :banghead:

Humm, going down the hill is tricky it's all loose rock from baseball size up to football size..so when going down your trying to line up with the little ramp. Plus the trail is narrow and you can't jump, I need to go and trim the trail on that one side (there are branches hanging in the way. Plus I dont want to jump and end up into a ditch.

When I'm riding I'm very careful do to the fact that I'm riding alone. Yes alone - so I'm carefully playing around...so little things like the log I will pass up - I carry a cell phone with me and I call in every 15 minutes which is usually where I reach my check points. So the family is accurately tracking my location and last heading. The picture doesn't show it but its rough terrain under all the grass :banghead:

Check out my album and you can see other types of trails that I ride on.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/usarmyctr/album?.dir=c288&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/usarmyctr/my_photos

-craig

Craig, sweet pics! :banghead: Yeah, that a pretty good size log. What you need to do is get your front wheel up in the air a little before you make "contact". But you shouldn't think of it as 'wheelieing" over the log. With your weight back, just get the front end light and then pull up so that the tire contacts the log about 2/3 of the way up the log. You can do this with pre-loading if you want or use that FCR!!! :banghead: When the tire makes contact that high up on the log, the front wheel will want to just roll over. You don't have to be going fast, just carrying a little momentum. After the front wheel clears, let off the gas and put your weight a little forward so you don't wheelie and loop out. You'll go right over. Practice makes perfect. With a log that size, I'd feel better about having a buddy to help me pick up my bike. ?

If you try and wheelie that and miss it, then you are over the handlebars with a broken neck. I wouldn't attempt it for all the love or money in the world.

This is exactly my thought!

I got off the bike and checked it out and realized - well I'm either going to smack right into it...or I'm going to flip over and break something. Those two options will not work. SO - I have to ride about 3 miles of trails to get to the other side...so I just made it part of a loop now :banghead:

-Craig

BTW, that is a sweet looking place to ride. Picture 23of44 is super cool.

this specific riding area is awesome. the terrain is up and down hill. That one specific pic that your talking about I get into about 5th gear and I shoot down hill and then back up on the opposite side...it feels like a roller coaster. I've got video - PM me if you want to see it.

-Craig

Wish I could find a riding place that nice in my area in northeast section of MD.

You lucky dog. Nice pics!

I can not emphasize enough - being quiet is the key. I ride with the exhaust plug in. I dont need to have 'as much ' performance as I can get. I'll suffer the little bit to be quiet and ride everywhere I want.

I got lost once and I had to ride threw someone's yard ?

They were out planting flowers and I rode literally rode 50 ft away and they didn't even hear me.

So if you cant be heard- people will never know where you are?:banghead::banghead:?:busted:

-Craig

That would be a piece of cake on my trials bike. Just do a double blip (very similar to Bill P's advice) and you're right over. However, getting the front tire up on the KLX is not at all like a trials bike. I'd find one nice sized rock for a "kicker". Place it in front of the rock as far as the log is tall. That would help get the front tire up (first blip). You don't want to wheelie over the log, you want to put the tire down just a bit on the front side of the log. When the tire hits the log it will compress the forks just a bit. As they rebound give it a little bit of throttle (second blip). The second blip drives the rear wheel over the log and helps the frame clear. Let off the gas and roll off the log. Find a log about the heigth of your helmet and practice first, then go for the big log.

After seeing picture number 78 in the "Downhill" album. This log should not be a problem.

Very True, but that mountain bike was like an extra limb.

I've only been riding since March- but over the summer is when I actually got my riding time in. So in other words - I'm not tooo experienced no the bike, Im' still learning. the KLX is a lot more fun then my wolverine which will be coming out soon once the weather gets very cold and snowy.

-craig

• 1 month later...
Where is your sense of adventure? :applause:

I know where mine is..... One broken back and one year of rehab later in a little pile underneat that nice little old lady's car somewhere on Oak ave.... I usually watch LT jump it first before I decide to give it a try. Broken backs or other bones are not fun. I say feed it to LT first! He's my guinea pig. LOL