Sign in to follow this  

Stupid q, I know

I'm real new at this, so bear with me. I got my first real bike about two weeks ago, DRZ400s, and I need to know a few things to help me out. Through some kind folks I've already found out much, but here goes. I opened up the top of the carb, and I know what the needle looks like, but is the fuel screw something I can get to from the outside? I get kind of a lunge/surge out of the bike when I'm running about 3/4 throttle. Just a little jump and lag. Also some times when I get on the throttle it lags a bit, kind of a dead spot. I'm talking to some fellows and they said to just play around w/the carb. I'm eager to learn, so any good teachers around?

I got my first bike, a 2001 DRZ400S, in July, discovered TT and went nuts. See my garage.

There's so much you can do to the bike to really open up her power. Keep reading. See the FAQ at the top of this DRZ forum and read Burned's posts. He's the Jetting Expert here.

If you want to do what most/many of us have done, you'll open the air box (known as the 3x3 mod), re-jet, and get an aftermarket exhaust.

As for the fuel screw, it's plugged. You need to drill out the plug to adjust it. Many guys buy an extended fuel screw to replace the stock screw. That can be adjusted from outside the carb.

This is a decent place to start:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207448

http://drz.info/drz/

Hey thanks,

I've checked out so much info already, all of it has been very definitive. I'm glad to hear that I can buy an extended fuel screw! I'd have to pull the carb to get to the stock, right? Also, I've got about 500mi on the bike, when can I do some mods? Exhaust, jetting, 3x3, air filter, etc?

KVO,

Welcome to the forum.

We're all learning still, there are plently of people willing to help you out.

Hey, I reckon the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. :-)

Cheers

Billy.

welcome and enjoy. there are some free (or very cheap) mods available which will make a huge improvement in performance and ridability. First: remove snorkel on top of airbox, using a soldering iron or jigsaw enlarge the hole to at least 3"x3". Pull carb out of its mounts (dont bother removing the cables though) turn it on its side and drill a small hole in the small plug found recessed in a tube on the front bottom just in front of the float bowl (this is how you get access to the fuel/air screw) use a sheet-metal or wood screw to thread into the plug and pull it out-it may have come out on the drill bit-mine did. Adjust the screw according to the recommendations found herein. Reinstall or: while the carb is out of the frame, change your jetting as recommended herein. reinstall. Done. Enjoy the 2 or 3 hp gain, end of the stagger and surging improved fuel economy, resistance to spark knock, better starting...

All right. Advice taken. Thanks a bunch. I splurged today though, I found an ultra cheap yoshi sr3 exhaust and TT BEAT the price! Complete system for 392.00. Thats the cheapest I found anywhere. So basically I got the dj kit for free after the price match! It would be alright to go ahead with the ex and dj, right? I can't wait till it comes! :banghead:

The first thing you need is an aftermarket exhaust. The stock pipe doesn't allow the bike to breath. An FMF Power Core 4 even with stock jetting will bring your bike to life.

(((An FMF Power Core 4 even with stock jetting will bring your bike to life.))))

are you running stock S pipe with the power core 4?

did you do this as a single mod and then test or a series of mods all at once?

Does the Power core 4 mount perfectly to S pipe and buddy peg location?

any top speed change)? before and after what gearing are you running?

As 4 me, I'll be getting the yosh sr3 as soon as tt gets it to me. other than that, i havent modded it any, except the pipe restrictor.