Sign in to follow this  

Who needs training wheels?!

About a month ago, I asked for opinions on whether or not I should take the training wheels off of my 4 yr old son's PW50. He appeared to be ready but the prob is that he's short and doesn't even come close to being able to touch the ground...even on a little PW50.

I felt that he should be able to hold the bike up on his own (and some others did as well) before he went 2 wheeling. My father, however, said that he was showing too much talent to keep him reigned in on the training wheels.

Well, my dad was right. Exactly a month ago today, I removed the training wheels and every time Ryan rides, I am blown away by his improvement. Today was his first time at the "track" and I was nervous about the jumps, etc. He just went right over them without even hesitating and by the end of the day, he was WOT on the straights and locking up the rear at the corners. I'm blown away that a kid barely over 4 could be so much better than I was at 7.

His only handicap is that he has to ride to me to stop. No bigeee. I'm so glad that I allowed him to go sans training wheels.

Signed, proud dad!

MX-10-200513Medium.jpg

MX-10-200546Medium.jpg

MX-10-200573Medium.jpg

About 30 seconds after riding!:

MX-10-200575Medium.jpg

Sweet.... I can't wait to get the boy our riding in a few years....

Is that the track south of Boise?

Sweet.... I can't wait to get the boy our riding in a few years....QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly, I go to the track quite a bit to watch my niece and nephew ride(6 and 4), it's amazing to see what the little ones can do that young. Can't wait to get mine on one next summer.

man, that kid is going to be so far ahead of me in ridding experience by the time he is 10. Thats also really cool that he is so comfortable with ridding even thought he can't thouch the ground.

I'm at this same point right now with my youngest. He just turned 3 a month ago and I took the training wheels off his bike. He's going off jumps and I took him to the BMX track with his brothers yesterday. I told him he couldn't ride the motorcycle until he rode without training wheels. Guess that was enough incentive and now I'm stuck. I put them on the PW50 for him to cruise around on since he's way too small to touch the ground.

Maybe I'll just suit him up in all the gear and see what happens. He still doesn't quite get using the throttle smoothly so I'm worried he'll eat it a lot.

Sweet.... I can't wait to get the boy our riding in a few years....

Is that the track south of Boise?

Yeah, that was at Pleasant Valley track. Not the most complex mini track...I want to take him next to the more technical track at OMC.

Thanks to everyone for the replies/encouragment.

I'm at this same point right now with my youngest. He just turned 3 a month ago and I took the training wheels off his bike. He's going off jumps and I took him to the BMX track with his brothers yesterday. I told him he couldn't ride the motorcycle until he rode without training wheels. Guess that was enough incentive and now I'm stuck. I put them on the PW50 for him to cruise around on since he's way too small to touch the ground.

Maybe I'll just suit him up in all the gear and see what happens. He still doesn't quite get using the throttle smoothly so I'm worried he'll eat it a lot.

Re: throttle. Put him on the pw50 w/ tr wheels and restrict the throttle...and take a Valium :banghead:

hey look its a new ricky

You know that thought crosses every dad's mind (including mine) when their kid is good so young.

But I just want him to be a really good rider for the rest of his life. Anything above that is gravy!

Alright, I'll admit it. Having a racer son would be bitchen :banghead::banghead: