Sign in to follow this  

Husky comparisons...

Hey fellas,

had a great ride last week, tight snotty forest trails with rutted, root filled hills, plus wide open sandy whooped uphills and downhills. the Husky was great.... really loving it now.

Also rode an 04 YZF450, an 05 crf450 and a 05EXC400 for a lap each.... man the EXC was pretty good, but the Yamaha was a dog... I thought my old 03 RM250 was feeling ancient but that shocked me! To think I was going to buy one too. What a relief. CRF was very nice, but I'm not going back now!

Now I know everyone has favourites, but please tell me you've all ridden other bikes and come away happy with the Husky?

Call me a convert! :banghead:

That 05 KTM 400 EXC is a short stroke motor too and a very nice bike. I have riden one and liked it right away.

Yeah I like it a lot,... quite small compared to the 510 but I expected that...

Oh by the way Bob, I spoke to Rand D Husky in Australia (buying new bar clamps to fit No crossbar o/size bars!) about jetting and Chris tells me the stock 55 pilot is waay to rich, so I'm fitting a 48 pilot.

Have you made any jetting changes?

Cheers :banghead:

John

yes, I had posted a bunch here about jetting. I find the husky jetting rich but flavorable meaning the engine runs good and buttery with the stock jetting. As you reduce your jet sizes the engine will sound more n more like an electric sewing machine, cleaner yes, more explosive power not sure.

Most of us are now firm believers in the the JD jet kit. I run JD's prescribed settings with his red needle, 5th clip, a 45 low speed pilot jet and a 175 main in sea level conditions, a 172 main and a higher 4th clip setting for 4000 ft. His needle allows/requires you to lower your jets size significantly. The stock husky needle needs fatter jets.

mess around with it some, yes I found the stock needle will work with a 48 and a 50 pilot jet and that stock 185 main for sea level elevations good.

You'll know your jetting is too rich if you get a bogg in low rpms as you shift gears and roll the throttle up fast. The jetting is real easy to change, take of your tank, remove the rear brake fluid resivoir that one 8mm bolt and let the resivoir dangle from its hose, loosen the two boot ring clambs on the carb. Rotate the carb so the bottom comes out to the left side. Now you can get to the float bowl and jets easy and to the needle thru the top on the right side. you have to screw out the main jet to get to pilot jet. also recommend you install an extended fuel screw for easy adjustments on the trails.

what elevations and temp ranges do you ride in?

JD's Jetting kit is only $65 , they have it in the TT store.

Thanks Bob, sorry I shoulda used the search! But thanks for the tips... yeah I ride at sea level when at home and around 1000 - 1500 feet when I head to my other favourite spots, very raely higher than that!

I have had some trouble stalling if i weick the throttle or stab it open to get over rocks, tree roots etc at low speeds... the bike also seems to dislike carrying a high gear at slow speeds... thats where my comment on lack of flywheel weight cam from... I hate that sound! brrrm fizzz click..... :banghead:

My buddies exc400 has a very light grey pipe,a nd burbles to the point of almost backfiriing... my pipe is black and sooty and sounds fluffy... as you say... probably too rich!

I've dropped the needle one clip, and will try the 48 pilot jet fr a start and then maybe the JD kit! Buying from the US is pretty good value from NZ at the moment! What comes in the kit?

Cheers and thanks again Bob... :banghead:

John

yes I did the honda diaphram mod to reduce my AC pump squirt duration. JD's Kit comes with several jets and two needles, plus instructions for what needles and jets to use in differenent temps and elevations.

for normal temps 50F and above and sea level to 4000 Ft you'll be on JD's red needle, 5th clip, 45 pilot, 175 main and 1.5 turns on the Fuel screw.

with JD's red needle and that 45, 75 jet combo you'll notice that rich Fluffy ness will go away and the bike will be cleaner/crisper and sound/ run feel more like an electric sewing machine. I have found that with his red needle especially when the bike is cold to mildy warm, that I get a slight poping on engine braking down hills. I could never relieve that slight poping which bugged me at first as my stock husky needle and jets never did that, but after switching back and forth a bunch of times I concluded JD's set up was better then my stock needle/jets variations so I keep his set up and run it exactly as he prescribes it. I ignore the slight poping on engine break situations, and tell my self its a little warning to get my lazy skeered ass back ON the throttle again :banghead:

Ha ha nice one....

I'll probably order the JD kit, but Australasian Dirt Bike magazine features a properly set up TE510 in its November issue, set up by R and D...I might wait until I've read that !!

Do you guys get that mag?

If not I could scan the review for you when it's published?? :banghead: