Sign in to follow this  

WR250F "street riding" feedback

Now that gas here in NH is $2.95+ ($3.15 for 93 octane). It was time to get serious about commuting with the WR250F. I have a fairly easy 25 min. highway,(45 min. backroad) commute to work. The trick was getting the gearing nailed, so as to not have the engine screaming at highway speeds. After 3 attempts, I setteled in on 14/46 gearing. My WR pulls 75 mph (I think). I can say I easily keep pace with traffic traveling in the middle lane, and the engine is revving moderate. I could not tell you what the rpm's are (any WR math gurus care to take a stab at my final ratio engine rpm's I would love to know). Currently my milage is 68.2 mpg combined! This number is no B/S. It's simple math: miles traveled divided by gallons used. I can cruise about 164 mi from a full tank to hitting reserve. I don't push running on reserve, as I know it's not a lot. Its about 2.4 gallons to fill the tank. I have stock WR jetting, and DOT street tires. I am amazed at the milege. When I last street drove my WR, I had full knobbies, and 13/48 gearing, and I was averaging 52 mpg. As you can see, a huge difference swapping to street tires, and highway gearing. Insurance and registration costs me about a total of $180, so I was well worth it for me to do the swap over to street. I have an '01 Dodge Ram 4X4 that can barely squeek 13.5 mpg! Hope this post helps anyone thinking of converting a WR over to street use.

Rich

Kind of a pain to change back to knobbys for dirt use isn't it?

I do a little bit of commuting on a weekend now and then-but my office is only a mile and half from where I live. Even so, it takes me about an hour to get there because I take the "long way" through the vineyards and back dirt roads.

I am putting on some DOT Kenda Trackmasters, but I don't think I would ever put street tires on my dirt bike!

Putting along at low revs in 5th does save gas, but over all (mostly trail riding), I think I get about 28 to 35 mpg--my tank is about 3.3 gallons (big Clarke).

Polar Bus.......So you don't have a speedometer? A really eazy way to get one is to get one off of a xt350. All you have to do is make a bracket for it and hook it up to the stock cable. It is dead on since the xt 350 has the same size wheel and tire set up. I have checked it with mile markers. It had 2 wires on it to hook so it is back lit also.

Polar Bus.......So you don't have a speedometer? A really eazy way to get one is to get one off of a xt350. All you have to do is make a bracket for it and hook it up to the stock cable. It is dead on since the xt 350 has the same size wheel and tire set up. I have checked it with mile markers. It had 2 wires on it to hook so it is back lit also.

Dude,

Thanks for the tip! I have been wanting a speedo BADLY. I will look into that model speedo. Thanks!

Rich

Kind of a pain to change back to knobbys for dirt use isn't it?

I do a little bit of commuting on a weekend now and then-but my office is only a mile and half from where I live. Even so, it takes me about an hour to get there because I take the "long way" through the vineyards and back dirt roads.

I am putting on some DOT Kenda Trackmasters, but I don't think I would ever put street tires on my dirt bike!

Putting along at low revs in 5th does save gas, but over all (mostly trail riding), I think I get about 28 to 35 mpg--my tank is about 3.3 gallons (big Clarke).

I don't have 100% street tires, I will say they are probably 70% onroad, and 30% offroad. If I HAD to blaze a trail, I could (just have to be real carefull).

Nice job Katoom, that speedo looks like a sweet fit. How does the trip reset work on that speedo? (please tell me its a quick push type that sets the trip back to zero, unlike the idiot design of the single number scrolling WR type) !!

Well it is not that good to be a push reset but it is a lot better than the stock one. You roll it forward if you had 458 it would go to 500, 600, 700, 800, 900,000 It is way better than the stock one.

Nice job Katoom, that speedo looks like a sweet fit. How does the trip reset work on that speedo? (please tell me its a quick push type that sets the trip back to zero, unlike the idiot design of the single number scrolling WR type) !!

I use the Cateye Enduro 8 on my drz400 and my other two bikes. Works fine. About $20 on Ebay. It has several functions on it.

I use the Cateye Enduro 8 on my drz400 and my other two bikes. Works fine. About $20 on Ebay. It has several functions on it.

sndmn2, Was it hard to get the calibration correct for the wheel size on your bikes?

Jeez,

That unit is cool also (and short coin). Can you explain how the sensor system mounts? Also is the unit backlit so it can be read at night? Thanks,

Rich

You are certainly in the "50 MPG" club!

I've been looking into all the options of a DP WR250F

and soon be converting my bike to be street worthy.

How do you have your lights wired up?

Are you just using the existing WR lights?

Your working plan to be gas thrifty is cool .....

can't wait til I join the club!

I am using the stock headlight and taillight.

Get a brake switch that raplaces the banjo bolt on your mastercylinder and take a hot wire to that then to the yellow wire on the tail light and then your brake light works.

Heres my current setup:

stock WR lighting using a Goodridge banjo bolt brake switch to operate the rear brake light.

14/46 gearing, cruises at 75 mph with moderate rpm's

Kenda dual sport tires (balanced front tire, this is MANDATORY!!)

MSR mirror adapters with Emgo 10mm 8" plastic mirrors.

Optional Factory Effects "soft" seat foam (this is ALSO mandatory, for old farts like me !)

I get a small amount of handlebar and footped buzz, but it comes with the territory, and from 24 years of riding off road it's no big deal. There is NO headshake whatsoever, I foresaw this as maybe an issue at highway speeds, so I slide the fork tubes down so they are flush with the top of the triple tree to maintain max steering stability. My WR is amazingly well mannered on the highway. With the dual sport tires, I am impressed as to how far you can actually lay over a WR in the corners. It corners excellent.

Rich

Are you talking about over 45mph on the road? If so no mine will cruise at 60mph just fine with no twitching.

Yes. I rode my on a dirt road and it seemed the faster that I went the more my front end wanted to float :banghead:

Dirt Road ... are you talking about a gravel road ya your front tire will kinda be a little loose on gravel and even worse if the gravel is not packed.

Just hang off of the back and gun it!!!!

I have ridden my 2002 WR250F about 800 km or 500 miles on Metzeler ME33 Laser 90/90-21 and 100/90-18 street tires. Tried lots of gearings. Shortened chain two rolls. 15/48 is too low as it overrews. 15/45 is too tall to rew out. Somewhere in between should mean about 145 km/h or 90 mph at max power 10500 rpm. Engine is completely stock. No carb stop, grey wire or silencer issues on European WRs. To reduce air drag I changed handlebars to lower and narrower RD125LC bars. Would have liked narrower YZF radiators. To increase stability I lowered the fork tubes and reduced the rear spring preload. Still don't dare to move left hand in to fork tube to reduce air drag when croaching down for absolute top speed. I rode it on straight and curvy tarmac roads, gravel roads and off road in the forest which isn't that bad as long as it's dry.

Now I have changed to 12/48 gearing and original tires for going off road with my kids on their Honda TL125S and Honda XR100R.

Best Regards

Göran