Sign in to follow this  

05 Ktm 450exc

Hi,

I know this is the Yamaha section, but I was at the local dealer, and they are trying to get rid of the 05 KTM's. I want something that I can make street legal, and I had wanted a WR, but the deal on the KTM is pretty good. Are there any problems with the KTM I should know about? How are they on the road? I have read that the WR trannies aren't great, and the valves can be a pain to maintain, any similar problems w. the KTM? Has anyone driven both/how do they compare?

Get the KTM for the 6 speed gearbox for the road. All dirt bike trannys dont like pavement. Be prepared to replace gears and bearings in the tranny after a couple of years. :banghead:

get the 525exc. change the oil every week.

should last for a long time on or off the road.

I think I read somewhere that the KTM's require just as much valve clearance checking as the WR and it's more of a pain in the ass to get too them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't they have two oil filters.

So I would think maintaining them is just as much work or more than the WR

but I wouldn't let that stop you. If you ride a lot of tight stuff I would look at the 400. I've heard they are a better handling bike.

I think I read somewhere that the KTM's require just as much valve clearance checking as the WR and it's more of a pain in the ass to get too them.

It is a easier job to do, not shims and buckets to deal with.

Yeah they got 2 oil filters but cost little more than the cost of buying a single one for other bikes and 2 filters must be better than one in keeping the contaminants out too i guess. And the valves aren't hard to adjust, it just takes a times to get to know the technique on getting in there. I have an 04 KTM 450EXC and have had no dramas at all with it so far. I ride mainly dirt but have to ride some highway work to get to some places and haven't had any tranny issues as of yet. Just change the engine oil and filters every few hours and use good quakity oil and you'll be just fine with a Kato.

Hi there !

Get the KTM 525. After you get the valves settled in, they will stay put. About three adjustments. The valves are way easier to adjust than the Yamaha. There are 2 oil filters but they are right beside each other and easy to change if you lay the bike on it's side. There is a cushion drive rear hub available for the KTM to ease the strain of street use. The KTM is a take no prisoners, demanding machine. The Yamaha is a go have fun machine. That is the main difference. Who is this dealer with 05's for sale ?

Good Luck !

STS.

I've owned a 2000 520sx, a 2002 520sx, and now own a 2005 450exc. I ride east coast single track, fire roads, dual sport, been down Interstate 70, Interstate 68, miles of back roads, run GNCC, enduros, motocross tracks, been to Baja twice logging hundereds of miles at 70+ mph. I have never had trans problems, but I do change the oil frequently with full synthetic. Check the valve clearance periodically, a little difficult access but not too bad, and have never had problems with valve going out of adjustment, occasional adjustment necessary. Motor/trans no problems at all. Only problem I've had is rear master cylinder needed new orings, rebuild kit is available. Excellent bike overall. Easy to maintain.

Love my '05 450. I don't think you will need the 525. The 450 will do 80-90 with ease on the pavement. Like others, the only problem i have with mine is the rear brake master seal. An easy $5.00 fix once or twice a year.