Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse Shifitng Question

I installed the rekluse this past weekend on my 03' and love it. I practiced one day and then took it to the track on Saturday night and actually Won the open novice class. This is the first one in a LONG LONG time. I can't wait to get this thing in a FTR hare scramble.

My question is the bike shifts hard when moving between gears. Has anyone noticed this. The good news is that I did not need to shift much but when I did it felt like I had to jam it into gear. Any suggestions?

I do not have an answer, but I have had two rekluses now ('02 450R, and '05 450X) and both have shifted smooth. And I have the habit of hardley ever using the clutch when shitfing.

So I too would like to know whats up...

-Chuck

I too just installed the rekluse on my 450x. First ride was this weekend. There were time when it felt as though I had a hard time shifting gears but I found that it seemed to shift smoother when the rpm's were up. I think it is just a learning curve. You have to learn when and where the clutch likes to be shifted.....

Throttle on or off? Can you speed shift those?

The Z-Start automatic clutch provides clamping pressure as a function of engine RPM. It's quite simple in that regard. If you are holding the throttle wide open down a straight, engine wailing, the Z-start will be clamping the clutch pack just like the stock springs would be. So, I just say this because if you shift without the clutch (no Z-Start) in this situation, it's going to shift hard because the transmission has not been unloaded and the "dogs" of the gears will have to overcome the one degree back cut that's keeping them engaged. You can do this by tugging on the shifter with your boot but it is not recommended! A quick fan of the clutch provides the "unloading" to sufficiently change gears (speed shifting without letting off throttle). This helps the transmission last longer.

So, back to your question: It shouldn't shift hard; any harder than stock for sure. If you do not have the manual over-ride, you should quickly back off the gas to unload the tranny before shifting. It takes no time at all, milliseconds. As said above, that might take a little getting used to because it's different (no pulling in a clutch lever). If you have the manual over-ride, a quick stab at the clutch lever is all it takes, just like stock.

I've been using one now for 2 1/2 years (two different bikes) to race MX. I have always used the manual over-ride and don't ride it any different than stock (read: abuse the hell out of it) and it works great when I need it.

Hope this helps :banghead:

Have over 1,000 miles plus of hard riding, both trails and MX, tore down clutch to see if the rekluse or any clutch parts have worn. No wear at all, I don't see a problem, unless you let the clutch just slip all the time from being in too high a gear. Always start mine in gear also.

When I first started using it, I went down and bought 8 new friction plates just to have on hand assuming that the Z-Start would make them wear quicker. Guess what? No difference. If your a heavy clutch user and wear a set of Honda plates out in 6mos-1 year, it will be the same. If your easy on the clutch, they will last much longer. I've been impressed. Also, this has been beat to death on TT already my The Rapture but the stock clutch plates just simply can't be beat! They wear better and have better feel than anything else out there..........my 2 cts.

Has any one added more tungsten balls for a faster engagement as the instructions suggest.

Adding Tungsten Carbide balls instead of the plain steel balls: Yes, about a month ago, I switched out 5 of the steel balls for TC balls. The TC balls have nearly twice the mass of the steel. Yes, it definately grabbed harder, faster. I practiced once and raced once with this setup and then went back to the stock 30 steel balls which is better. The downside to the TC balls was that the clutch pull was harder at higher RPM's. I think Rekluse has done their homework here because the stock setup has never slipped above 3-4K RPM yet engages smoothly allowing the rear wheel to hookup without breaking loose too much.

Maybe I have my idle set to high? It seems to shift hard when i pop it into gera form a standstill.

<Maybe I have my idle set to high? It seems to shift hard when i pop it into gera form a standstill.>

Sounds like a setup issue: www.rekluse.com or 208-426-0659