Sign in to follow this  

450 to 250--Who has switched and why?

Yesterday at a HS race I sat on the new CRF 250 and gave it a good looking over. It was the first 06 here in Southern British Columbia so no one was riding it, just on display. The thing is small and seems very lite when you pick it up. I've been riding an 02 CRF 450 in the bush and I'm wondering if this might be the way to go as I'm fifty on my next birthday. I would think that the only big drawback will be the raw power that gets used on the really big hills, the 450 eats up the ugly uphills. Who else has actually made the switch, why did you do it and was it the right choice. We ride very tight single track almost all of the time. I know Throttlejockey made the switch but I'm not sure why.

Dude, an 06 CRF450 has the same bodywork and feel as the 250F, just with twice the power. Go with that.

Dude, an 06 CRF450 has the same bodywork and feel as the 250F, just with twice the power. Go with that.

Ya, you can't compare an old 02 chassis to the new one. Get an 05 or newer 450, you will seriously miss the power if you go to a 250F. Unless you want to race in that class, stick with the 450.

There's no comparison in the tight woods, the 250 rules.

I've had both and the 250 stops faster, turns faster and is just so easy to manhandle when you get out of shape. With the 450, even with the auto-clutch, it was still a handfull at times and when I got out of shape it was scary trying to get it back.

It has plenty of power but is at a disadvantage to the bigger bikes when it opens up but in the tight stuff it's got more than enough power and is so easy to ride it's fast it's silly.

BTW- I'm an A rider, not a novice so it wasn't rider ability with the 450.

There's no comparison in the tight woods, the 250 rules.

I've had both and the 250 stops faster, turns faster and is just so easy to manhandle when you get out of shape. With the 450, even with the auto-clutch, it was still a handfull at times and when I got out of shape it was scary trying to get it back.

It has plenty of power but is at a disadvantage to the bigger bikes when it opens up but in the tight stuff it's got more than enough power and is so easy to ride it's fast it's silly.

BTW- I'm an A rider, not a novice so it wasn't rider ability with the 450.

the 450 is cool , but i to have really been liking the 250,

i can't stop riding it,

most of the single track stuff i ride the 450 just will not work, the thing is like a bull in a china closet,

the little 250 is just so fun,

at almost all the tracks i ride I'm a faster on the 250 :banghead:

the 450 feel is so much faster , but your going so much slower trying to set it up and corner .

its funny, i will overjump some very long stuff on the 250 that i just barely make on the 450 :banghead:

the only time i miss the motor is at the dunes,

that is where the 450 really seems to shine 🤣

Hey Kelstr... im going to ET moto park this saturday you going to be there again?

Hey Kelstr... im going to ET moto park this saturday you going to be there again?

i want to go the et but the old lady wants to go to canyon,

i am going to try to change her mind but sometimes i just can't :banghead:🤣

so we will probably be a canyon sat and sun :banghead:

i want to go the et but the old lady wants to go to canyon,

i am going to try to change her mind but sometimes i just can't :banghead:🤣

so we will probably be a canyon sat and sun :banghead:

ive not been there... how is it there? im a good desert rider but a beginner at MX. got a site?

ive not been there... how is it there? im a good desert rider but a beginner at MX. got a site?

if you go to gomxracing.com then you can get to all the tracks in az and the canyon site is on there.

canyon has been around since the Early 60's and i always love racing there.

then in the 90's they weren't grooming it and not taking care of it and it sucked.🤣

but now they have a new owner named "guy" and he is really making it nice , safe and for all skill levels,

the track is way fun and safe and all the jumps you can roll, miss, double and or triple and not get hurt, :banghead::banghead:

guy is doing a great job, -----and it is only 15 dollars to practice insteed of the 25 that et gets !!

The 450 tires me out. The 250 keeps me fresh much longer and handles night and day better. Sure the 05/06 450 handles good but its like a locomotive compared to a 250R. I weigh 190lbs. in my shorts. If I weighed 225 or more I would be forced to ride the 450 full time. Also, I have a 250R and 250X. Get the R if you race.

i raced the 04 crf 450 last year....it was a lot of bike for me...i only weigh a buck 50 i switched to a 05 crf250 this year.im a lot more confident with it.thats important....im am faster on it than the 450......i dont regret it ...cept the money :banghead:

I was on the 450 since 02 through 05 and went to the 05 crf250R. I'm faster (or faster feeling) on the 450 for the first hour in the woods, but after that the 250 and I go quicker. Yes, the 05 and 06 frame feels like the 250R, but it's the engine's inertia which yanks your body into submission; not the slimness or lack thereof. The 250's front end feels 20 pounds lighter in every situation.

On a mx track I am faster on my 250. I do miss my 450 for when the trail turns hard right/left, and there's 25 roots right in front of me. The 450 blows over them in 2nd or 3rd. The 250 is revved to the moon in 1st. And yes, the 250 totally sucks at climbing big hills or clearing 4 ditches in a row.

I went to a hare scrambles yesterday, too, and the course was 50% mx and 50% off road with some big sandy hills and power sapping silt. The winner of the Vet class was on a 450 while 2nd place was on a 250 two stroke. The winner of the pro/semi-pro class was on a 250 four stroke. Go figure.

Best of both worlds is a 270 kit in the 250R with a pipe.

If you are more of a point-and-shoot/square the corners type of rider the 450 is the way to go. If you can rev a bike and know how to pick a line and carry speed the 250 is the way to go.

That's probably one of the best explanations, in my opinion, of the benefits vs. rider strengths I've read in a while. Well put.

Consider this...

You are getting older(50 hurts when you crash). How fast do you need to go?

If you are racing, it is more difficult to pass bigger bikes on a 250f.

You will eat less chains and tires on a 250f.

You will adjust the valves more often on a 250f.

Just how big a boy are you, anyhow?

Imagine the energy you will have after a 3 hour race on a 250f/450f.

If you like your bike, keep it. Then, buy a 250f(for a spare).

I have a 450. I bought a YZ 125 because they are sooooo fun to ride.