Sign in to follow this  

Dented Can

In a recent get-off in a rock field, I put a medium dent in the side of my Yoshi SS can, about midway between the inlet and outlet. It's about 1.5 inches long and about 2/5 inch deep into the can.

Any ideas on what to do, if anything? :banghead: I'm not really concerned about looks, it's a dirtbike! But could it affect performance? I couldn't really tell a difference.

I guess if it was affecting performance you could pull the dent. I have a dent puller that you screw into a hole. Drill hole, pull dent, braze hole closed.

Take the endcap of the muffler and remove the packing. Use a piece of large round pipe inside the can to hammer and dolly it back to a close proximity of the original shape.

Repack and ride.

Took my Yoshi can off to fix the dent. First of all, this is the best advice given thus far:

it wont hurt performance so you can ignore it.
The design is such that a minor dent does not make a bit of difference. There are no metal baffles or anything. Basically, it's a perforated inner pipe with steel wool wrapped around it, followed by a fiberglass blanket around that, all slid inside that stainless steel sleeve on the outside. Nevertheless, I did manage to work the dent out about 75%, since I already had it apart.

Secondly, for those of you who wish to repack your Yoshi can, the best advice I can give you is to drill out the rivets that hold your "Yoshimura" name plate on the side of the can. These freakin' thinks protrude about 1/2 inch inside the can, making it very difficult to slide the packing out. After you're done, re-rivet the plate back on or use some really short sheet metal screws.

Thirdly, this is the way I found to remove the endcap to get at the packing: pull all encap screws (three on end and four radially around the can end) and then put two of the endcap screws almost all the way in (I left them protrude about 1/3 inch). Clamp your bench vise on the heads of those two screws (tight, but don't smash them). Gently rock the can back and forth slightly while pulling up on the can and it will work it's way out.

I have pictures, but this site is such a pain in the arse to attach them, I'll just e-mail them if somebody needs them.