Sign in to follow this  

Clutch cable assist device

I remember seeing an aftermarket product to assist a "hard" clutch cable pull. It looked like a little bell crank that bolted on the bars near the clutch cable that worked as a pivot/pulley to ease clutch activation. My 12 y.o. is on a Honda XR200 and the clutch gets a bit hard for him during long rides. Does anybody know the name of this product and where I can buy one? Thanks in advance for any help.

Bump. This is a great question. Not something I've ever heard of, but I'd be very interested in learning more. Anyone?

Leanintree

Wondered if your clutch cable needs oiled as 200's do not have a very hard clutch pull, but ones with a dry cable will. I understand your boy is young, but was surprised hard clutch pull was the first complaint riding the XR200. I assume the cable has no damage. We run H/D springs and it's still not bad.

Take the cable loose at the handle bar, clean the end of the cable housing real well with contact cleaner etc, wrap several tight wraps of 3/4 masking tape around it to make a funnel. Get some #20-#30 turbine oil, non det oil, etc. and fill the funnel. No chain lube, or sprays.........oil! I do all the cables this way! :banghead:

This may not be the answer to your problem, but it a problem I have seen many, many times.

Old School Al

I've seen them for sale in the Dennis Kirk catalog

Moose makes it - http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=57706

I know a guy that runs one on a KX500 and swears by it.

K-fab........that's the product alright! Ordered it and should have it by the weekend ride.

Old School Al.......thanks for the cable oiling tips. I'll give that a try. I will say this regarding the XR200....my kid does have a legitimate point. The clutch on that XR is stiffer than the one on my Husky TE410. It's also stiffer than on my brother-in-laws RM125. And it is certainly stiffer than the clutch that was on my boys previous bike (Kawasaki KLX125). This Honda has fairly low miles. I did notice that at times its a real bitch to kick into first from neutral. I'm assuming that can be helped out by changing the motor oil (any thoughts on this situation?). I've yet to change the oil since I bought it, and I'm not sure when the previous owner changed it last (if at all since new). I wonder if changing the oil would help at all with the stiff clutch cable?

Lube the cable, and even a drop of oil on the lever pivot and see what you think. A properly serviced XR200R does not have hard clutch pull! Did someone by chance put in a set of H/D springs?

Kick into first.............? Need more details.........?

Oil needs to changed on a regular basis as does cleaning the air filter! Neglect of these two items takes most XR200R's to a way earlier death than necessary!

Changing the engine oil is one thing.................lubing a dry clutch cable is another! Unless one was messy enough when changing the oil I guess!

Old School Al

There are devices that have beeen around since 1978 that clamp around cables and pressurize the cable ousing via the aerosol-pressured lubricant and a plastic sleeve.

This combined with a bell-housing should do the trick.

But I like the ingenuity of a tape funnel!