Sign in to follow this  

Padding in hinged knee guards

I want to buy some hinged knee guards, and am currently considering five different models:

The AXO TMKP (Total Movement Knee Protector)

The Six Six One Ricochet

The Fly Moto Knee Guard

The Alpinestars Bionic

The new (2006) Thor Force

What I want to find out is how the padding compares in these different knee guards. One reviewer said the Bionic is not well-padded (see this thread, tenth post down): www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=132256&highlight=knee+guards

Hss anyone had a chance to try on and compare the padding in any of these five knee guards?

I’m probably most drawn to the Ricochet because of the added thigh protection. I know the current (2005) Thor Force is well-padded and has good thigh protection, but I’d rather get something that isn’t so bulky. (Plus I’ve read of some riders experiencing problems with fit in the Thor Force, and there’ve been reports of them causing knee injuries in some crashes also).

I’m also concerned about ventilation. From what I can tell by reading on the internet,

it looks like the Ricochet is well-ventilated, and the Bionic somewhat ventilated, but the TMKP and the Fly Moto seem to have little ventilation (despite AXO’s claim to the contrary)

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

- Paul

I have AXO's...they're pretty comfortable, but I have 1 complaint: when you put your pants on, the velcro straps always seem to come unattached from each other.

I've also tried the Fox Raptors....I liked the strap sytem better than teh Axo's, but they didn't seem as comfortable when they were on.

I haven't tried any others, so I can't help you out that much.

If you can talk your doctor into writing you a prescription for CTi braces, you should consider them. They offer many options, including a patella cup (knee cover). Since they are custom fit, they are comfy and work very well.

Just a thought.

I've tried the Thors - not bad, but they are a bit bulky on the thighs and if they wander in your boot, they can move around a bit and bother you. Don't know about them causing any injuries.

Thanks for your responses, MX Eight Two and K-fab. I live overseas and don't have medical insurance (and am not rich) so knee braces are out.

paul1212,

I use the Thor Force knee guards. They are well padded, the articulated knee moves just like my knee (although my knee makes more noise), and they don't move around on my skinny old legs. I only ride trails at a medium pace, so if you're MXing, they might move around....but at my speed the boots and pants hold them in place just fine. I've crashed in big rocks several times and didn't get so much as a bruise. They work.

I can relate to living overseas. It sucks to have to buy stuff sight unseen and hope it works, but so far I've been pretty lucky. At least I have medical insurance, but I would prefer not to get hurt in the first place.

Cheers,

Mac

get some astrik knee braces, they are exspenisve but it's worth it, i know my knees are worth more than $500