Sign in to follow this  

How worthless is the stock toolkit?

Just got my new rack and couldn't wait to put it on. I keep my tools at a buddies shop, didn't think I needed to ride all the way over there just to pull out the two seat bolts. So I broke out the handy toolkit that came with the bike and went to work. Didn't take long to figure out that you can't even pull the seat off with the provided tools. What good is a toolkit if it can't even do the simplest tasks? I knew there was a reason I ripped that ugly thing off the fender when I bought the bike.

Sorry for the pointless post, just had to vent.

Even if they saw fit to make the wrenches all box end instead of open end, I'd be happy.

And there's no 8 mm wrench, which is what you need to adjust your clutch and brake lever perches. And that's probably the most common trail fix of all.

:banghead:

The seat is held on with 2 x 10 mm bolts (M6), my tool kit contains a 10mm Box spanner, so should yours.

And the plug spanner is well worth having, same goes for the axle nut spanners.

Neil. :banghead::banghead:🤣

Just got my new rack and couldn't wait to put it on. I keep my tools at a buddies shop, didn't think I needed to ride all the way over there just to pull out the two seat bolts. So I broke out the handy toolkit that came with the bike and went to work. Didn't take long to figure out that you can't even pull the seat off with the provided tools. What good is a toolkit if it can't even do the simplest tasks? I knew there was a reason I ripped that ugly thing off the fender when I bought the bike.

Sorry for the pointless post, just had to vent.

It's for emergencies only...at best. My uncle had to use my spark plug wrench on his sons little Honda 50 once...That's the most the toolkit has ever been used in a year.

The heads on the seat bolts are 8mm, there is no 8mm wrench. That also means you can't take off any of the side panels so you can't get to the fuse or battery, some emergency kit. When I first got the bike I had to adjust the clutch, throttle cables, and brake lever. The toolkit was no help there either. I've had a couple Honda sport bikes and you could darn near tear down the whole bike with the provided tools. Heck, the Superhawk even had a prop rod to hold up the gas tank to get to the rear sparkplug.

I bought the toolkit off a guy with an S he was parting out. Only bought it for one tool really. The cool spark plug tool with the pivot in the middle, also doubles as the tool to hold the axle, the end with the big inside hex.

Found I still have some of the original tools in my kit, some were replaced with better ones though.

Well if you are getting mugged... you could pull that screw driver out of the tool kit and stab the mugger in the neck with it...

Thats about all I can think of it can be used for.

I added a couple of allen keys (I have the suzuki rack which is mounted with allens) and an 8mm and combination wrenches in 10mm and 12mm. With a leatherman and a set of tire irons I can do some serious repairs in the field.

I found my tool kit to be very handy.. especially when changing tires. But then one day the neighboor hood punk kid 🤣 came by while I was fixing my bike and unzipped my fender bag. Needless to say, the next time I went to check my bag, it was unzipped and my toolkit was gone!🤣:banghead:🤣:banghead:

The heads on the seat bolts are 8mm, there is no 8mm wrench. That also means you can't take off any of the side panels so you can't get to the fuse or battery, some emergency kit.

Then all I can say is, Suzuki must use different bolts to hold these parts on in the USA, because these are all 10 mm heads over here.

Neil.

I'll gladly take that tool kit off your hands, I've been looking hard for one that someone on the forum doesn't want, I find it to be very useful!!! PM me if you want to get rid of it.

Then all I can say is, Suzuki must use different bolts to hold these parts on in the USA, because these are all 10 mm heads over here.

Neil.

No, mine are 10mm as well, so I use that 'cool spark plug tool with the pivot in the middle' to take the seat and side panels off most of the time. Maybe they used the wrong size bolts on yours mrriggs :banghead:

I've never had a stock toolkit that came with a bike give me anything truly helpful, but I will admit, the sparkplug removal tool that coes with the DR-Z is nifty. All my sockets and extensions just didn't fit as nice as the stock tool kit's tool.

I replaced my seat/side panels/rad scoops/tank with allen heads. Now all i need is 2 allen keys to remove all. The same allen keys can remove the engine casings too as i replaced them with the allen hex keys. Basically i like to be able to relax in the knowledge that i can strip my bike whenever and whereever. Now fixing it, thats another story but at least i can swear at it whilst its in bits.

I still retain the original toolkit stuff too. You never know when you may need it. Ive added 2 solderless nipples to it too for broken cables, a set of mole grips, some pliers, 2 plugs, an ht cap (new), some emery paper, wd40 and an assorment of electrical connectors. I hate breaking down and may be a tad paranoid but at least i will be prepared. My DRZ is probably the most unreliable bike on the planet.

the kicker has 8mm bolts in some places the S has 10mm, go figure.

My SM uses 8mm headed bolts on the seat and side panels....

Infact the only thing I think I have used the 10mm for is the axle adjusters and the rear brale lever adjuster.

Did anyone receive a spoke wrench with theirs? I was told it was suppossed to be in there but I don't have it.