Sign in to follow this  

Hour meter on 06?

I understand the normal hour meter will not work on the 06 due to the alum frame. Anyone know how to make one work?

Why wouldnt it? Aluminum conducts electricity just as steel does.

The frame should not make make any difference. Get a Sendec one, they are inductive, so they only have to sense the spark plug wire (or an active wire). They don't have to be grounded.

they make hour meters that dont need to be grounded. i have a unit for my ktm i just bought. it's held on with two sided tape, works great and cost on 40 bucks.

that sendec meter is what a friend of mine tried to use on his 06 kx250f. it didnt work either. not because of the frame being aluminum or needing a ground. i dont think it worked because it looked like the coil was on the plug. no high voltage plug wire to wrap the pickup wire to the meter around. put hourmeter on the plug wire of his kdx and the meter worked.

If that's like it is on my YZF, all you have to do is wrap it around the plug cap/coil. I would think the new KXF would be similar?? :banghead: If you search the YZF forums, there may even be a link to picture. :banghead:

stezlaki did you just wrap it around the coil just below where the wires from the cdi and ground go into the coil? thought about that but didnt try it. how many times did you wrap it around the coil?

Yamaha makes one (part # ENG-METER-4C-01). It's 67.95 CAD. It's exactly the same as the Sendec and Pit Posse, but says "Yamaha" instead.

stezlaki did you just wrap it around the coil just below where the wires from the cdi and ground go into the coil? thought about that but didnt try it. how many times did you wrap it around the coil?

Sorry.........been out of town. I'll try to you a picture tomorrow of my wire on my YZF if you haven't already figured it out. As far as wraps around the coil...........uhhhh........maybe 4??? :banghead: I'll have to look.