Sign in to follow this  

Too Slow to fall???

I can normally zip through the Mi. trails without too much trouble, but when I ride with my 9yr old son 3-5 mph my bike will wash out and crash. I have my suspicions about why this happens, but I want to know what you think. It happens mostly on sandy turns. Thanks for your advice.

I can normally zip through the Mi. trails without too much trouble, but when I ride with my 9yr old son 3-5 mph my bike will wash out and crash. I have my suspicions about why this happens, but I want to know what you think. It happens mostly on sandy turns. Thanks for your advice.

In sandy turns, the faster you go, or the more throttle you apply, determines how much the back tire is wanting to push the front end up. When you go faster and give it a good amount of gas, the acceleration keeps the front end light, and your leaning is what steers the bike. This is typically the technique you should use in sand. When you go slow, there is more weight on the front wheel, which will cause it to wash out.

Actually, I have had this problem as well when riding with some new riders. Once you develop a pace and skill level, you tend to move along at that level without really thinking about it.

When you go slower, you are watching the other rider, momentum is lower, you are most likely sitting down, etc.... in short, riding like a squid

mx813

it's normal. Happens to me when i'm riding w/ some friends who have only rode for a few months. It seems like it's harder to go slow sometimes than to go fast. :banghead:

it's normal. Happens to me when i'm riding w/ some friends who have only rode for a few months. It seems like it's harder to go slow sometimes than to go fast. :banghead:

I agree. Especially in sugar sand. I can't seem to keep the bike on a straight path in the sand when I'm going slow but when I'm speeding through the sand I can hit whatever line I want. It really sucks when I'm trying to teach my friends how to ride 'cause I have to ride so slow. What helps me though is to weight the front wheel so I plow through the sand when going slow. Took awhile to get used to :banghead:

Thanks for all the replies. I figured as much. It's actually kind of fun going really slow. I'll remember these trips when I'm riding faster than I should just to keep up with my son.