Sign in to follow this  

HOT Cam 250X

I just ordered a hotcam for my X and I would like to know what the performace gains I should look for. i.e. more lowend, better throttle responce, ???? HP? also any caveates on the install, breakin, riding.

The cam make a huge difference on the X. Its the best mod you can do for the $. Y ou will have to go bigger on the main jet to get all the benefit from it. you will not notice the loss in low end but from mid to top it is much stronger

i found the major gains to be in the mid range, but it does help the low end. I love mine

Thank you for the replies I should be putting in this week and racing it this weekend it the install goes well. I wont have much time to play with it outside of breaking it in. I am also dropping a tooth in the rear from the stock 14/53 to 14/52 got get more out of my 1&2nd gears hopefully. 54 just seem to be too tall for crusing through the woods.

I went too a 14/51 ratio on my X when I got a hotcam. Now 1st and 2nd are much more usable. You might not notice just one tooth.

I've been running a stage 1 Hotcam in my '05x for about a month. The bike already had a TR270 kit, an '05 R head, and a Dubach full SS pipe. The cam added significantly to the mid range and a little to the low end. Top end feels the same but thats fine 'cause I was trying for more power while keeping as close as possible to the CRFx's excellent stock powerband.

br8

I've been running a stage 1 Hotcam in my '05x for about a month. The bike already had a TR270 kit, an '05 R head, and a Dubach full SS pipe. The cam added significantly to the mid range and a little to the low end. Top end feels the same but thats fine 'cause I was trying for more power while keeping as close as possible to the CRFx's excellent stock powerband.

br8

br8 - I've seen numerous posts saying the TR 270 kit was the best mod for the $. You obviously still felt you needed more power? - what gave the biggest gain in your opinion - hot cam or 270kit? You think you need them both? How much do you weigh? I need a new top end soon and I'm leaning towards the 270 kit. TR told me that if I ride 95% steep singletrack and use a lot of low end I should stay with the X stock cam - your thoughts?

Shredjm,

Without question the TR270 kit is by far the best mod for the $. I weigh 225 and ride mostly open So. Cal. desert terrain so I have a need for all the boost I can get.

For riding woods / singletrack even at my weight I would definitely stick with the stock (49 state) cam. The Hotcam gives the motor a more aggressive power delivery that is fun on a more open trail but a hinderance in the tight stuff IMO.

If you're rebuilding the top end, the other mod I would consider that works really well with the big bore kit is an '05 CRF250 R head (about $210 from Service Honda) which has an different intake port shape that improves low end performance.

Good luck, BR8

BR8,

Thanks for your input and the recommendation of adding an 05 R head. Should I wait and get the 06 head instead? I think the 06 head has improved materials in the valve seats that might help with valve life. Does anyone know if the 06 head has additional changes to the intake or exhaust ports over 05?

Good point. If you can get both the improved valve seat material and the higher flow intake port shape with an '06 (X or R) head that would be the way to go. Be aware that the '05 X head did not have the new intake port only the R did. I don't know if the '06 X has this improvement or if either the '06 R or X head are interchangeable the previous model years.

I went too a 14/51 ratio on my X when I got a hotcam. Now 1st and 2nd are much more usable. You might not notice just one tooth.

What type of riding do you do? any H/S or GNCC?

I put the stage1 cam, cut the air box along the pattern, put the R exhaust on, removed the pink wire and re-geared my bike for more Baja, but it has made a huge difference, I clocked it stock at 77mph and now it clocked at 91mph. It makes a world of difference, for the money its the best thing you can do. Your going to spend over $1200 to get a little more out of it if you go another way.