Sign in to follow this  

Knee brace advice needed!

So I just recently found out that I have a partially torn MCL. No surgery needed as of now, but it is still very loose and I have zero lateral support. I am shopping for knee braces but dont want to spend a ton of money. What is everyone out there using these days?? Thanks in advance for any info!!!!

See if your health insurance will pay for a CTi brace. Cheaper than paying for your visit to the OR.

My 2nd choice would be the Asterisks, which you might be able to get on the TT store. Get two braces.

I'm in a similar situation as you nascarnick and I love my Asterisks. :banghead:

First off like they said have your knee fixed :banghead: I've had 3 surgeries on my right knee and 2 on the left,got a pair of asterisks and have had 0 probs.There sort of bulky at first like all braces but you will get used to them.Just take the time to adjust them to yours legs first🤣 u won't regret it🤣

`Craig

`RIDE RED OR GO HOME :banghead:

`04 CRF-450 #2

`PRO STYLE GRAPHICS

`FA-Q RACING

I tore my ACL last Nov and had it replaced with a patella tendon graft. The doc prescribed my a CTI2 brace, I have nothing but good things to say about it. I bought a set of Asterisk braces to ride with, they have knee guards (something my CTI didn't have without paying for) and I figured why risk doing the same thing to my other knee. They have paid for themselves in protecting me in several "incidents" and peace of mind ten fold. They aren't a "custom fit" but IMHO worth every cent.

So I just recently found out that I have a partially torn MCL. No surgery needed as of now, but it is still very loose and I have zero lateral support. I am shopping for knee braces but dont want to spend a ton of money. What is everyone out there using these days?? Thanks in advance for any info!!!!

i did the same exact thing, i had a torn MCL and i had no lateral support at all, i did all my therapy for 2 or so months and im going to be ridiing for the first time this weekend coming up.

as of the knee braces i just got my astricks and they look like they will work very well.

but if you can get the CTIs then i would deff get those too..

ps mine cost me 600$ for my knee braces

goo luck

Thanks for all the help guys!! I have seen my doc and the ortho doc. Had an x-ray and MRI. I have been doing the excercises he told me to do and it is feeling a little better, still very loose though. We have a big trip planned for three weeks and I dont plan on riding until then. But I wont throw a leg over the bike without knee braces!!!! :banghead::banghead:

The best Knee Brace on the market today is actually not a "Brace" in the traditional form but knee and leg protection. AirArmor. From what I understand it was developed for football to allow athletes to wear them to prevent knee injureis without affecting speed and agility of the players. They have only one external hinge so there is nothing between the rider and bike. They are also not strapped to your thigh but stay in place by using a custom football girdle. The company web site says they are 20 oz each and sold in pairs. I think about $550 a pair. Web site is www.airarmor.com. I think you can buy factory direct without an Rx. Aparently the brace allows full movement without hyper extension so your MCL sprain can heal.

I had a probably once-in-lifetime incident that came close to tearing my MCL last March. As it turned out, I think I only stretched it instead of a complete tear since I only felt that really stinging pull on the inside of my left knee. Fortunately, I was able to ride my bike back to the truck and had my friend load it for me. I iced my knee on the way home and started researching MCL injuries online.

From what articles I read in several different sites, they almost never do surgery on the MCL unless it's completely torn, is that what your doctor told you?

In any case, I immediately ordered a EVS WEB and have been wearing that since the time I felt I was ready to ride again. I gave my knee about 4 or 5 weeks before I attempted to ride again, and with the brace, I felt absolutely no pain or pressure on the knee. Now the brace is standard gear, it's liteweight and open enough for air flow. Just need another one for the other knee, preventive care.

Lots of good advice here.

If at all possible, get a custom fit brace. If you have insurance, see if your doc can write you a prescription for it (if he won't, get a new doc). Then you're looking at the amount of your insurance "out of pocket" and it will probably be close to, or less then the amount for an off the shelf brace.

I've had 3 surgeries on my rt knee, including patella tendon graft replacement of the acl, its no fun. I wear a CTi2, its my 3rd or 4th custom brace that I've had over the years, and its by far the best I've worn.

My doc told me that he can write me a prescription for a brace for my good left knee as a preventitive measure, so I'll be looking into that as well.

Good luck. -Ed

ps: strengthen that leg as much as possible. That will do as much as any brace, plus you won't always be wearing your brace when your knee needs the extra support from now on, so strengthen that leg big time. It will feel great, you'll actually be able to feel your knee tightening up and it will help your confidence with using that leg.

I am definately going to check and see if my doc will write a prescription. I'm not really counting on it though. Damn braces are expensive and now I see why...........BECAUSE THEY ARE WORTH IT!!! Kinda like divorce but thats another topic!(never been divorced but like the saying!) I'm leaning toward either the Asteriks or the EVS. They both seem pretty solid.

Damn braces are expensive and now I see why...........BECAUSE THEY ARE WORTH IT!!! Kinda like divorce but thats another topic!(

That is hilarious. :banghead:

Another quick question for ya. What are the best excercises to strengthen my knee? The only one the ortho surgeon has me doin is the coffee can one. Where you just do basically a leg extension with the can under my knee. Any others that i could and should be doin? I work in a gym so I'm going to start doing very light leg extensions and such, but wasnt sure if there were others out there?!

I had ACL replacement surgery in Feb. I started with light weights on leg ext, partial squats etc. When I started riding again in August, I was surprised to see how weak my hamstrings were. Hamstring strengthening will be crucial. Astrisk etc. knee braces work OK, but if you have the money, get some DonJoy or CTi etc, they are worth the extra money in performance and comfort.

I've got the Web and they are pieces of shit. After 4 uses a side plate fell off, the velcro for some of the pads fell off and the screw threads for limiting the brace to less than 180 degrees (hyperextension) stripped. Sent the braces back to EVS and they put on a new side plate and velcro but refused to fix he stripped threads or replace the braces. They claim that use of the threads by someone that doesn't have existing hyperextension will damage the brace. If so, why manufacture them with limiting screws? Their answer was illogical and the three idiots I spoke with don't seem to understand the lack of logic behind their response. I'm going to try to return the braces to the retailer and buy Asterisk braces. I would not buy from EVS even if they came out with a superior product. Their customer service sucks.

Broke my Tib and tore my ACL (replaced with Petella tendon two years ago) and tore my MCL all in one dumb move on my XR400.

I have been using the CTI2 brace and it is great. The doctor actually writes a prescription for it, then a rep from the company comes to you and takes your leg measurements and two weeks later you have your very own custom knee brace along with lots of add-ons such as petella cup and various side pads. Best part is the insurance covered it 100% :banghead:

David :banghead:

CTi is the company that developed and produces the Asterisk Cell. CTi2's are state of the art, custom fit, and therefore very expensive knee braces. The Asterisk is CTi's attempt to provide a brace of near custom fit quality to the masses. It worked.

The Cell is light, comfortable, adjustable, and strong. I use them, and my right knee, which lacks an ACL, no longer gets hurt everytime I stick my foot in hole. In fact, I haven't injured either knee since I got them. Asterisk will rebuild a worn or crash damaged brace for a flat $85, too.

The Web, by contrast, is bulky and uncomfortable.

Another quick question for ya. What are the best excercises to strengthen my knee? The only one the ortho surgeon has me doin is the coffee can one. Where you just do basically a leg extension with the can under my knee. Any others that i could and should be doin? I work in a gym so I'm going to start doing very light leg extensions and such, but wasnt sure if there were others out there?!
Spinning classes! My physical therapist said it's the best kind of exercise for your knees, it strengthens the surrounding muscles which helps support the joint and the rapid, low impact movement is really good for the joint itself. I used Spinning to rehab after my ACL surgery and got great results. As a bonus, those classes will get you in killer aerobic shape which will make you a better rider!

I am an orthotist in California (brace maker).

The CTi and asterisk are very good ACL braces but DonJoy and Townsend make a brace with much better M-L support. While I dont agree with the idea that a knee brace will protect a healthy, stable knee, it will help an unstable knee by providing support to a torn, partially torn or stretched ligament.

A custom brace (no matter the brand) will run 1200-1700 ea depending on your area. You copay schedule will determine your cost. You can get them without a RX.

An off the shelf will run 50-500 ea depending on the brand and level of support.

A CTi2 is not the same as an Asterisk, but Innovation Sports does make an off the shelf that is identicall to the Asterisk, but it is around 400 ea.

As far a cost goes, the Asterisk is a very good deal but you have no chance of your insurance paying for any of it.

Cti's are really sort of a partial-custom brace IMO.

Cy