Sign in to follow this  

TTR 250 Forks

Having trouble removing cap nut on top of the forks. When I try to pull the cap up it pulls back down. Can it be remove while the forks are still on the bike?. Also can the spring be pulled out without taking the forks off the bike? The bike is a 2005 TTR 250...

I have an '05 as well. Tried to change the fork seals myself but gave up -- was taking too much time. Need special tools for standard cartridge forks that I didn't have nor could find (the tools that are readily available are for inverted forks only). Ended up taking the fork to the shop. They charged me $70 to take the fork apart, change the seal and refill it w/fork oil. Probably about 1 hour of a trained mechanic's time. Was worth it to me. They did a good job and it saved me 4 hours of work assuming I could have found the right tool (which also would have cost $70 BTW). For inverted forks, you can make your own tools out of PVC pipe.

I was hoping to add a longer spacer to help stiffen up the front springs until I could find some. It looks like if the cap is removed the piston shaft,spring and spacer should come out.