Sign in to follow this  

How do I get more LOW END power?

I have a '04 250f with all the free mods done.

I took it out on a 4 hour ride recently and it seemed that unless I rev'd it up to about 7k rpm it didn't really respond too well (above 7k it was great :banghead: )

I would like to improve the low end power so I can chug along in a more relaxed style (Im usually following a mate on a 83 XR 🤣 )

I have thought about replacing the front sproket with a 12 tooth - is this the way to go or are there any better methods?

:banghead:

I have a '04 250f with all the free mods done.

I took it out on a 4 hour ride recently and it seemed that unless I rev'd it up to about 7k rpm it didn't really respond too well (above 7k it was great :banghead: )

I would like to improve the low end power so I can chug along in a more relaxed style (Im usually following a mate on a 83 XR 🤣 )

I have thought about replacing the front sproket with a 12 tooth - is this the way to go or are there any better methods?

:banghead:

I would try a 12 tooth front sprocket. Get a cheap steel one and see if you like it. I am running a 13/50 and it seems to be working well for me in the trails

On my '02 YZ I am running only Hot Cam Intake and free mods. Low end gained enough for me to go from 50 rear sprocket to 48 (stock).

Have you

JD jet kit?

YZ or aftermarket pipe?

powerbomb header?

these are things that will give you the bottom end without draining your bank account.

a 12 tooth will keep you shifting all the time and will be overkill. Stock gearing will be plenty with these done.

Thanks all.

I will try the 12 tooth sproket and a YZ pipe.

I mostly ride tight twisty trails and I found that I was eithier in 2nd screaming it flat out or in 3rd on tick over with little engine braking.

Thanks also for the coments about the truck (my other passion! If anyone discovers and parts or complete trucks let me know!)

Luckily a 12 tooth spocket is cheap because I bet you will be taking it back off. You should be riding these bikes a gear high. Instead of screaming 2nd, cruise in third. It will lug and pull you through most anything. I race HS and get into some very technical and tight woods racing. The only time I use 2nd is climbing steep hills or in really really tight sections under 10 mph. I am in third most of the time and it serves me well.

Charlie, why don't you sell him yours. :banghead::banghead:

I agree with gmoss, I tried the 12 and it was to revvy and made me jerk about to much. Going back to the 13 and going a gear up made it much smoother and easier to ride. I just didn't think the bike had the guts to lug but it does and I rarely stall.

A high compression piston will give you a bunch of bottom and mid power. The only problem is the need for higher octane fuel. If you are willing to run 50/50 race/pump fuel it is a great mod.

A high compression piston will give you a bunch of bottom and mid power. The only problem is the need for higher octane fuel. If you are willing to run 50/50 race/pump fuel it is a great mod.

I beg to differ with DNE. A (Wiseco) +.75 compression piston does not require running a higher octane than a standard 91-93 pump gas. I agree that it will add nice low-mid range punch though! :banghead: Wiseco's new 2 ring design seems like the hot-setup. Also, their press release on their web page is wrong. Std bore is still +.75 CR and 79mm is +1.2 - same as the 4738M series.

BEFORE YOU BUY ANY OF THE MENTIONED ITEMS.... drain the carb and make sure your pilot jet isn't plugged!!!! It happens to me all the time.

I put a WB Aluminum Pro 2 race system on my bike and it rocks down low. It isn't cheap though. About $600 for the system but you can find it cheaper if you look. Im running 13/49 and I have tons of low end grunt.

Big bore, hands down. You will spend a lot of money on a bunch of other little items that will easily add up to the big bore cost and still not have the power of a big bore. 262cc is what I recommend. No question.